16DP lathe gears needed

Anyone know where I can get 16DP gears in 20 and 30 teeth sizes (14.5 degree pitch angle) - i.e. standard screwcutting gears for lathes such as the Raglan, Pools Special, Early Zyto, Kerry, Mellor, Senior, and most Atlas lathes.. and I am sure a few more?

If you have any tucked away under a bench I will turn them into beer tokens ! I don't care much about the thickness or hole size, just so long as they aren't plastic !

Thanks Steve

Reply to
Steve

If you don't find any used, you can get them from HPC Gears:

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy

Nope, HPC's current range is all 20 DP, they will do 14.5 to order but if you have to ask you can't afford them,

16DP was also standard on Harrison and Colchester lathes in 14.5 G&M Tools usually has some listed on their web site.

-- Regards,

John Stevenson Nottingham, England.

John Stevenson

Oh sorry. I missed the pitch angle bit. Any idea what they do charge for specials? I have a need for a 115 mm diameter brass disc, 5 mm thick,

4.75 mm bore with boss and grubscrew, no teeth, 30 x 5 mm holes drilled equi-spaced in a 95 mm diameter circle. I need to do a drawing to get an official quote, and I'm not keen to go to the effort if I know it's going to cost a fortune.

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy

Had discovered HPC, but wrong pitch angle. Boston gears in the states do the right ones, but I thought I would ask to see if we can turn up some old ones before I go into the import business !! I guess the cost will not be cheap (though the exchange rate isn't too bad at the moment).

Hey, have just checked their website and they now list UK distributors. I could have sworn they were US and Canada only last time I looked. It might still be cheaper to import them though !

If (like me) you need gears try

and look at the PDF section under Literature > Open Gearing > Change Gears.

I would still prefer a nice (cheap) used gear if someone has one tucked away !

Steve

Reply to
Steve

Do I get a prize for answering my own question ...

I phoned GMB Associates in Tamworth (they are one of the Boston gear distributors) and they can do 20tooth, 16DP, 14.5PA, 3/4 inch bore in steel for =A311.89, 30T for =A315.19 plus UK delivery VAT etc. They have to be shipped from the US, but they are stock items out there.

Not bad - should get me going OK. They also do 20DP, 14.5PA - 20 to 120 teeth (and 8, 10 and 12 DP for serious lathes).

Steve

Reply to
Steve

If you can't get it from stock, I guess it would be cheaper to buy a set of gear mills and make your own. Supposed you have a mill and a rotary table / index head.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Müller

Don't think I have any tucked away but I have to go to Arc Euro this afternoon. It's about time I picked a 16DP hob up so you are now my excuse for getting one

If you aren't in a rush I reckon I can run some off next week.

-- Regards,

John Stevenson Nottingham, England.

John Stevenson

Out of curiosity: How much does such a hob cost at about?

Thanks, Nick

Reply to
Nick Müller

The DP16 is £55 from Arc

Reply to
Lester Caine

I'm not in a rush John, will drop you an e-mail. Thanks

Steve

Reply to
Steve