Toolpost questions

I want to find a good Q-C toolpost for my Holbrook C10; the choice seems to be between Dickson, Multifix, some Chinese copy, or ... any suggestions? Has anyone got one for sale?

How do I find what size I need? Are there any drawings anywhere for Dickson/Multifix tool posts? The distance between the top of the compound slide and centre height is about 44mm.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

You should be able to find the Dickson data on Crawford Collets site as they make them. Mark.

Reply to
mark

There's a set of Multifix toolpost hand holders on Ebay at the moment. They are in a different league from the Dickson or Aloris types. I've got one on the Hardinge DV59 but that's another rebuild project.

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

Thanks Mark, I didn't know they were the makers. Unfortunately their website seems to be dead, but I found the dimensions in an old Rotagrip catalogue.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Thanks Mark - same problem with finding sizes, the Amestra sit doesn't seem to have an on-line catalogue and I can't find drawings anywhere. Any idea what size "type A" is?

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Reply to
Nick Müller

You will need a size "B" or "C". Selecting the right sizes and the tool holders is a bit complicated. It is best to get a selection guide from the dealer you want to buy the holder from.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Müller

That's a shame - 25 mins ago I won a size A on eBay :(

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Size A is for 1.472kW (I really don't know how they get those numbers; from HP?). The lowest height (to center) you can get is 25mm (with toolholders A20) and a tool height of 16mm, or 29mm with a tool height of 20mm. So you would have to move the tool holder up quite a bit. But if I read the numbers right, you have got the 29 or 25mm missing. If all that fails, put a big shim under the head.

You can use toolholders A20/75 and A20/90 (last number is width of compound). If you use A16, you will have to put spacers under the tool.

Anyhow, Multifix is really nice, and I'd like to have a set (have been working with it).

Nick

Reply to
Nick Müller

You don't 'win' anything on Ebay, you just have to be braver then the previous bidder.

-- Regards,

John Stevenson Nottingham, England.

John Stevenson

Very true John, but timing comes into it too :-)

I read somewhere that by definition you pay too much if you buy something at auction because the value of something is set by what the rest of the population are prepared to pay.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Useful information Nick, thanks. The toolpost comes with 2x AD20/75 and

2x AD20/90 holders - I suspect it'll be OK with a 10mm spacer until something larger comes up, then it'll be back on eBay.

Do you have the height info for the B and C sizes? I still can't find anything on the web.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

I think that works.

I would like give you a link (before typing the info I have), but I don't have.

TH16: Tool Height 16mm (with tool height I mean the cross section of the tool / bit, eg. 16*16mm etc.) TH20: Tool Height 20mm and so on ...

The "B"-head: w. holder B25: TH16:28.5 TH20:32.5 TH25:37.5 w. holder B32: TH20:34 TH25:39 TH32:46

The "C"-head: w. holder C32: TH25:40.5 TH32:47.5 w. Holder C40: TH32:47.5 TH40:56.5

HTH, Nick

Reply to
Nick Müller

Thank you VERY much Nick, vielen danke.