Rust prevention in the workshop

After searching for a couple of years, I finally managed to obtain a second-hand dehumidifier for the workshop, for 40.
(Anybody need any distilled water for their orchids?)
But Lo!
And Behold!
A junk-mail flyer for Homebase has just arrived advertising a variety of models at 34-99p, (380mlitres per day) 79-99p (10 litres per day), 149-99p (12 litres per day)and 199-99p (15 litres per day).
Hopefully all of our prayers are thereby answered!
My guess is that the heat consumed by these apparatuses will also act as background anti-frost protection (unless you know different?)

What technical claptrap.
How exactly does the dehumidifier "consume heat"? I accept that it produces heat, as a result if its inefficiency. It doesn't consume heat.
Have you any idea how a dehumidifier works?
Who are you praying to? I thought you were anti-God? Had a road to Chippenham conversion?

Well done Nimrod!!
Does this mean that from now on we will have to microscopically check every word we write to ensure a mistake isn't made?
Recently I recall a post referring to somebodys 'wife' as his 'Wide' - don't recall too many observations on that.
As for how dehumidifiers work, I suggest you do a bit more reading before you open your mouth and put both feet in up to the elbows.
A decent model will have 'hot gas defrost' which is used to defrost the condenser matrix, as well as the heat produced by the compressor in its normal mode of operation, not just as a result of its inefficiency.
This, and the circulation of the warmed air from the exhaust, will tend to result in some low level background heating.
As to the religious aspects of the post I'm afraid cannot comment, the rest of it, apart from that one mistake, I feel is factual.
Lofty
> Does this mean that from now on we will have to microscopically check

By your own admission, only SOME dehumidifiers have a defrost system, therefore that function is not integral to the dehumidification process, anymore than autodefrost is integral to the operation of a fridge-freezer.
A dehumidifier does not "consume heat". It may consume electricity, or more exactly convert it to heat, but it does not consume heat.
Airy has his own laws of physics (or technical claptrap to those of us who know him).
I'm not sure where this part of the thread is leading, but dehumidifiers remove, or "consume" heat from the air which is thereby cooled. If there is a high moisture content in that air, the air becomes saturated and the moisture condenses out. The heat so consumed and ultimately released from the refrigeration cycle, together with any heat from the operation of the motor/compressor should act to warm up the shed.
I'm sorry, but I don't see what is the difficulty? Is some rather silly and infantile person desperate to score a point somewhere?

Definite signs of a partial understanding of physics and you dare to criticise others.
Try looking up the laws of thermodynamics.
Airy R. Bean posted the following in uk.rec.models.engineering:

Let's call the above "Statement No. 1"

Let's call the above "Statement No. 2"

Let's call the above "Statement No. 3"
Statement 3 contradicts Statement 1, as logic of them says that heat is both removed AND added to 'the air in the shed' at the same time.
Where does the heat go to between the actions in Statement 1 and those of Statement 3? What 'consumed' the heat? When is 'ultimately'? What other state was it transformed to? Why did it reappear as heat? What were the mechanisms involved?
Statement 2 is complete rubbish.
Having done meteorology as part of my pilots license, I think statement number two is wrong as well. From what I can remember (and it was a while ago), it is vapour, not moisture. Vapour is usually dry.
When the air become saturated, it doesn't necessarily turn to condensation. Much of it depends on how clean the air is (and I would assume a dehumidifier would clean as it sweeps...). If the air is clean, then the vapour will remain as vapour. The vapour could be supercooled, but still remain as vapour. Only when it comes into contact with something (dust, walls, glass etc.) does it then change state (If supercooled, it will turn instantly to ice, which is where hail is formed when in thunderclouds).
This actually happened in nature a few years ago in Canada with catastrophic consequenses. Remember the ice forming on everything, and it was really thick? It was so heavy it brought down trees, power lines etc. This was due to the air being clean, the water being in vapour form. The temperature dropped, the water was still in vapour and only when it came into contact with things did it change state, which at this point the vapour was now supercooled and instantly turned into ice.
This may sound like boll***** but it was what I was taught.
Best regards, Dave. ~~ Customise your internet experience http://www.FOCUSPortals.com/customise.asp

Dave writes (snipped) .......

Not round objects at all Dave.
For another version of the same truth see ..........
http://www.rcn27.dial.pipex.com/cloudsrus/moisture.html
All to do with humidity which is why the equipment is called a de-humidifier. It gets hot in operation, which is what was originally said.
Please may we get on with something else now ?
Mike
--
Mike Whittome - life member.
Curmudgeons International

Which end of the flat Earth Society is the Australian branch ?
-- Regards,
John Stevenson Nottingham, England.

Well actually John, you go all the way to the edge and then come back the pretty way.
--
Mike Whittome

Even Mr.Stevenson's much-vaunted "NewsBlock" program is failing in his own very first installation!!!!
But then we knew, Children, didn't we, that he was only pretending but was in fact anxious to know how his rather silly and infantile campaign was progressing?
What a prize idiot he is!
Bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaaaaa!!!!!

Vapour, moisture, whatever.
This is a thread for model engineers and not for physicists.
Does it matter? Hardly.

As a model engineer, I would rather cut metal with HSS, not mild steel. Does it matter? they are still metals.
The difference between vapour and moisture is its state. Liquid oxygen would kill you, you need oxygen vapour to live. Really, it is fairly critical.
Best regards, Dave. ~~ Customise your internet experience http://www.FOCUSPortals.com/customise.asp

while
Here's a little thought experiment for you - imagine a tiny hermetically sealed container in which there are 80 atoms of Nitrogen, 20 of oxygen, one each of ozone, helium and argon, and one of water.
Is that molecule of water a vapour or is it moisture?
How could you tell the difference?
Is it at all relevant to a discussion upon the availability of reasonably-priced dehumdifiers from Homebase?

Does
would
Airy R. Bean posted the following in uk.rec.models.engineering:

None of the substances you mention will be available as atoms in the circumstances you describe.
No thought at all is required. Your experiment falls at the first hurdle.
Once again you reveal your innermost psyche and the emotional disturbances contained therein.
Grow up, Mike!

Airy R. Bean posted the following in uk.rec.models.engineering:

You fool. That does nothing to deflect attention from your pompous mumbo-jumbo.

Grow up, Mike.