Hot stuff!

We are often discussing the shortcomings (and long goings!) of magnetos, trembler coils etc here and as I have been researching ignition systems for another project, I came across this

Also, with the New Toy, came an interesting ignition device based upon a normal 12 volt coil rigged up with a flasher relay and although I've not yet found a circuit diagram, I've found this description on a pulse jet website.

"A cheap and basic way of making a circuit to drive an ignition coil is to use a multipurpose 12 volt DC relay with a pair of heavy duty normally open and normally closed contacts.

Wire the 12 volt supply to the relay through the normally closed contacts and a momentary action push button (on/off) switch. Connect the 12 volt supply to the ignition coil through the normally open contacts. The relay will pull in and drop off (cut throat) and tend to buzz which will develop a continuous HV from the ignition coil. Some form of arc suppression (a condenser) will be required across the contacts supplying the ignition coil to reduce contact wear."

The one I've got cycles at slightly less than a second (80 per minute) which is standard flasher speed. The purple arc across the points gap of a standard spark plug is intense and will jump a lot further than an ordinary spark. For difficult to fire engines, it would prove a Godsend at low speeds and could be a separate clip on device that could be temporarily attached to magneto points or separately triggered off a suitably arranged blob of Araldite on the flywheel rim etc.

Usual disclaimers!

Regards,

Kim Siddorn,

Reply to
J K Siddorn

Ah, happy days! I spent good deal of my childhood fiddling about with this sort of thing. The buzzing relay and ignition coil was a favourite method of generating ruddy great arcs, as was the eht generator section ripped out of an old TV set. Another fun pass time was to charge up a bank of capacitors to a few hundred volts and then attach via a contactor to some poor unsuspecting transistor and flick the switch. It's a wonder I never electocuted myself!

Reply to
Nick H

Fado, fado (a long time back), one of my fellow electronics student's favorite tricks was to put the switch to the off position on a bench mounted 13 Amp socket, insert a resistor of the appropriate rating, turn on the power and light his cigarette from the incandescent resistor.

Smoking obviously wasn't dangerous enough :-).

Can anyone think of any reckless exhibitionism associated with engines?

Regards, Arthur G

Reply to
Arthur Griffin

Owners of Morgan 3 wheelers with V twin engines have been converting to coil ignition this way for some time. They use the magneto points to fire a normal coil just like on a real car.

John

Reply to
John Manders

The trick of barbequing food in the afterburner blast of a jet engine seems pretty reckless. I know it's been posted before, but I still find this amazing.

John

favorite tricks was to put the switch to the off

appropriate rating, turn on the power and light his

Reply to
John Manders

Hi Arthur, not engine related but definitely spark coil related. When I worked in the Telephone Exchange we used to play tricks using a car coil & a vibrating relay. It finally ended up wired to a grid top in the yard outside the workshop. We had it insulated & wired to the coil. It looked just like a grid. When we got a new apprentice we told him that the toilet was on the other side of the building but it was OK to use the grid outside. Then we turned the coil on! For some reason they never tried using the grid twice. 8^)

-- Dave Croft Warrington England

Dave Croft

When going worm drowning with me mate Julian when we were - what? - fourteen, we used had a novel way of extracting worms from the ground. Not for us the soapy water or laborious turning over of stones, oh no.

Take two six inch nails, wiring them to a length of cable. Push them into the lawn some six feet apart. Plug into the mains and switch on.

See those worms just *leap* out of the ground!

Switch off before collecting AND DO NOT LEAVE YOUR MATE BY THE SWITCH!

Regards,

Kim Siddorn,

Reply to
J K Siddorn