How do you NOT an AC circuit?

Someone help!

I have what appears to be a simple problem, but i can't find a solution anywhere.

Using a 120V AC switch, how do you NOT the output. When the switch is open, the output is on and when the switch is closed the output would be off.

The problem...I have a closet full of computer equipment and i can't close the door or the machines will over heat. so i installed a bathroom ceiling fan, that vents the closet, but its always on. So i want to add a thermostat to it. A cheap 120V AC baseboard heater thermostat is perfect except it completes the circuit when the room is cold not hot.

The applied use of this solution would be to NOT the output of a regular 120V AC baseboard heater thermostat to a common 120V AC bathroom exhaust fan.

A relay should be used? Or is there a baseboard heater controller that has reverse outputs?

Signed... I want to close my closet!!

Reply to
AgarGuest

Get a cooling thermostat not a heating one.

sQuick..

Reply to
sQuick

Dang. I was going to suggest that!

Buy one for an attic vent fan.

Charles Perry P.E.

Reply to
Charles Perry

You could always wire it through a normally closed relay contact and connect the relay coil to the switch i.e. switch open, contacts closed and vise versa. Rob

Reply to
Robbie Mayhem

great tips.

Would this be just a good as the Honeywell?

and its only $19.00

Reply to
AgarGuest

great tips.

Would this be just a good as the Honeywell?

and its only $19.00

Reply to
AgarGuest

For the last several years I worked for a major West Coast Control Contractor. We used lots of honeywell thermostats for industrial and commercial jobs. I do not recall using Broan. We had good luck with Honeywell. Of course, I just installed them, I did not design the systems.

Reply to
electrician

Broan gives a rating of 120, 250, 277 VAC; 22 Amp capacity It would be nice to have a HP rating. It should be OK at 11 Amps for a motor, which is around 1/2 HP, which is probably larger than you are using.

bud--

Reply to
Bud--

Reply to