Hyperbolic claptrap

and riddled with inaccuracies as well. Ebay item 4560791231

Reply to
Roland Craven

Roland, To be honest I have just fallen off my computer table with boredom trying to read it, also as a none owner of such fine engineering even I can spot the "Bode of Lollocks" as far as I read it YAWN!!!!!!

Mart> and riddled with inaccuracies as well.

Reply to
Campingstoveman

Martin, I read it all,and it defintly hits the 10 on the bullsh*t detector,

Gary M.

Reply to
gary millward

Not as subtle as Alastair Campbell, huh? :-)

Reply to
Tom

Quote: ' Besides being the definite;y superior 2 stroke cycle design, '

So why is this cycle not widely used....?

Can anyone smell cows?

Regards

Dan

Reply to
Dan Howden

It's not? Since when?

Tom

Reply to
Tom

$10,000? Wow, we're all rich! But my favourite bit is :- "There is an oil hole in the gear guard to allow oiling the gears--clever!" Yeh right, sheer genius ;-)

Reply to
Nick H

I had a very successful trip today from Liverpool to Northwich on a vessel powered by 2-stroke cycle diesel, according to the tank gauge we used 11 gallons of diesel on the 7 hour trip (I don't actually believe it was quite as little as that), vessel 103ft long and 7 foot draught.

Cheers Tim

Tim Leech

Just to educate the iggorant (i.e. me), could anyone please explain the following:

What's a "reasonable sort of price" for a Petter appletop in this state?

Is there anything particularly interesting technically about this model, or is it just a cute shape?

Is this engine a reasonable example (barring the garish paint), or is there anything obviously wrong about it? No idea what the reserve is, but at $99 opening bid it wouldn't be a bad deal.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

A "reasonable" price for a 3hp AT is perhaps £300 as its generally considered to be the least desirable because the Apple has a squashed look. Both 1 1/2 and 5hp will usually fetch rather more. About 2-3 times that seems to be the going rate in $US. The attraction is the cute hopper but apart from that and the air filter its no different to any other 1932-1939 M type. This particular example looks to be all there although the vile, and IMO non-original, colour scheme gormed over the rust is far from pretty. New mains will set you back £200+ at RRP. The filter is not common and suggests its original job was dirty. If the various numbers quoted in the blurb are genuine then the owner must be considered a victim. For the record the needle valve usually needs opening about half a turn or less and the engine is stopped by closing the needle valve. The engine is not in any sense injection and the fuel pump flow is not regulated, the surplus simply returns to the tank via an overflow pipe. There is no vapouriser as such as the fuel is sucked through the atomiser by the airflow in the transfer port and then deflected to the top of the cylinder where it is vapourised by the uncooled portion of the cylinder head. The starting problems are likely due to a broken off atomiser or "ball-trouble". and finally in common with all other Petter M types it will run like a three legged dog unless put under load.

hth Roland

"Andy Dingley" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

Reply to
Roland Craven