Micro ammeters

In the three boxes of meters I bought the other day are a LOT of rather nice, 1950's black Bakelite cased micro ammeters - about 3" across the back,
but I've not measured them. They are dusty & occasionally the glasses are loose, but that's easily fixed with a drop of superglue. Other than that, they are fit for use.
Am I right in thinking that a moving coil meter can be wired to indicate either volts or amps & that a suitable external resistor etc would make them suitable for measuring more substantial amps/volts?
Regards,
J. Kim Siddorn,

back,
them
Yes, low resistance high wattage in parallel for amps and high resistance in series for voltage I think.
Martin
Thanks very much Martin & John, just what I needed.
Regards,
J. Kim Siddorn,
message