OT - Etching

I had a go with the 5% nitric solution today. I have two pattern welded knives on which the patterns are not well defined & my plan was to etch them until it was!

I cannot submerge the blades as they have grips on them, so repeatedly painted the solution onto the steel with a feather. Apparently, they are not affected by the acid.

The result was that the pattern did become a bit more defined, but although detritus washed off the steel each time I swilled it with fresh water, there is no noticeable depth of etching. I've left them to dry & will see what a repeat does this afternoon

Regards,

Kim Siddorn

Reply to
kimsiddorn

Clean reagant grade nitric acid does that. You need some crud in there first before it will start working.

Reply to
Andy Dingley