paint thinners

Hi Group

I used to have a Transit van that I ran continuosly on paint thinners. It was "jet" propelled! I managed 40, 000 miles without any trouble despite it normally having to use leaded petrol. At 40, 000, it blew the valves. After repair it was back to leaded petrol. It was like driving a morris minor. Top speed 85mph, with the thinners it would do the ton! Now that valves are stronger because of unleaded fuel the transit may still be running. Wonder if I should try thinners in my Rover Sterling?! Its top speed is 127, maybe it could it 150 or more with thinners!!

Reply to
rover

I found that substituting water for oil in engine, gear box and back axle had a similar effect ;-)

Reply to
Nick H

I remember reading Phil Irving on testing the two stroke Vincent industrial engines & they were tried on a wide range of unlikely flammable liquids as they were designed initially for war service & a multi-fuel aspect was considered worthwhile.

The principal problem with non-petroleum based fuels was the likelihood of the oil separating out, sometimes whilst the engine was running!

I recall that a petroil lubricated engine supplied with oil on a metered & diminishing basis would appreciably gain power immediately before seizure as the oil drag dropped away.

What kind of thinners Rover? I always thought it was far more expensive than petrol.

Regards,

Kim Siddorn.

Reply to
Kim Siddorn

Hi

I work in a paint shop and with every 5 gals of paint thinners we buy we get one gal free. That used to go in the transit! The thinners is just bog standard stuff added to paint when spraying car bodywork. Not sure of the price of the stuff as the boss pays the bill...

Reply to
rover