Stupid question

Its a long shot I know but

Would a broken and partly blocked exhaust cause a diesel engine to run a bit hotter than usual

My wifes car (a 1998 corsa diesel) has recently started to show 10 degrees more on the temp gauge . Personally it doesnt bother me but she is getting paranoid about it .

I have tried a new thermostat / flushed the whole water system / changed the sender unit and finaly changed the water pump but it all has had no effect .

She has come home from work this afternoon complaining of a knocking noise at the back .

I have had a look and discovered a broken exhaust back box and a sharp bend in the pipe partially blocking the flow .

So I was wondering could this cause the rise in temp

P.S the head gasket has not gone

Reply to
The wild eye

yes it could ttfn Roland