Unusual engine

One of our club members is offering a 6 horsepower air cooled Bradford-Saunders diesel for sale. I can't ever say I've heard of or seen another in over 30 years, and wondered if anyone else has. If my shed wasn't full to bursting with assorted two stroke devices from the West Country I'd be very tempted to make him an offer! I actually have a copy of the manual for the water cooled version, but I wonder how similar it is to the air cooled one?

Regards

Philip T-E

Reply to
philipte

Saunders or Sanders? ISTR the second part of the name refers to designer Arthur Freeman-Sanders, late of Lister and Fowler. No help at all in ID'ing the beast of course!

Reply to
Nick H

Hi Nick

Yes, our Arthur had a hand in a number of engines didn't he. He was also responsible for designing the Bradford lookalike Lister D as featured in SEM a while back. I I assume he must have insisted that his name was used in the diesels in conjunction with the 'Two way swirl' design of combustion chamber which he came up with?

Regards

Philip T-E

Reply to
philipte

The air cooled engine is very different to the water cooled I think....there was an air cooled Bradford-Sanders diesel that was marketed by Norman as the

1B diesel, and they are scarce to say the least...SEM back in about issue 100 or so from memory has the history of Norman, and a mention of the 1B diesel.

HTH

Dan

Reply to
Dan Howden