An odd request (slightly OT)

Hi all

In the last two days one of my websites:

has managed to find its way into over 800 surfers favourites file. This is a huge amount more than normal, (a normal week would see it being bookmarked by about 150 people) especially considering the 'local' nature of that website.

There's nothing in the log files to suggest where these hits are coming from so I guess people must be typing the url directly into their browsers. This has lead me to conclude that the url has been printed in a magazine somwhere.

A quick flick through the ones I get, plus the local Bristol newspapers has revealed nowt.

So, can I ask, while you all browse this months crop of various mags, if you see my website listed in one of them, can you let me know? Probably best to do it via email rather than the group.

mucho thanks in advance, and sorry for the OT nature of this request.

Pete

Reply to
mutley

Hi Pete,

A quick advanced search on Google reveals that there is a link to your site on:

Also to the Filton Male Voice Choir and dozens of other links bearing no relevance at all to car hire!

regards,

Martin.

---------- email: snipped-for-privacy@templot.com web:

Martin Wynne

Thanks Martin, I don't think people are arriving from there though! :)

I don't know what's going on. Another 300+ people added it to their favourites list in the last 24hrs, but there are no corresponding referring urls.. very strange..

Pete

Reply to
mutley

How can you find out when people are adding it to Favourites?

--

***
*** Rich Mackin (rich-at-richmackin-co-uk) MSN: richmackin-at-hotmail-dot-com

You've probably noticed that some websites, once added to your favourites, have a little icon both in the favourites menu and the address bar? This is a file called favicon.ico.

Omitting this file on a website will cause a browser to generate a 'file not found' error code. (invisible to the user). My weblogs provide a list of all file not found (404) errors, and include the numerical total for each missing file.

Pete

Reply to
mutley

Supporting information: I got an e-mail yesterday requesting reciprocal-links arrangements with

Ethical? I think not.

Reply to
Brian Watson