Glue question ?

Got some PCB board and phosphor bronze strip (could use copper or nickel silver) for pickup construction. Question is how to fix strip to board. Tried a couple of glues but either didnt stick at all or didnt survive soldering. Any suggestions ?

cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

On Mon, 6 Apr 2009 21:09:38 +0100, "simon" said in :

I've had some success with Araldite in the past, but I'm not sure how well it would survive in use. Can you rivet it?

Guy

Reply to
Just zis Guy, you know?

Have I misunderstood this? You want to attach phosphor-bronze strip to PCB board with glue? How is it supposed to conduct? You really need to solder the strip to the board - it sounds like you need a smaller soldering iron if you're destroying it with the one you have.

Reply to
Paul Boyd

ah, my mistake. Got some paxolin board and want to attatch PB strip to that. Does that seem more sensible.

cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

Make yourself some tiny rivets from 1mm or 1.5mm dia copper ( or brass ) rod. Drill a couple of suitable holes and gradually 'peen' the rod over with a small hammer. Pop a small washer under the paxolin side or even a small strip of phosphor bronze to stop the paxolin splitting.

Why use paxolin? get some fibreglass PCB offcuts and solder would be a lot easier, and adjustable...

Reply to
traction

Use a longer piece of PB strip and wrap it tightly around the paxolin and solder it, then fix in place with a dollop of epoxy. You could even file notches in the opposite edges of the board just slightly wider and deeper than the PB strip to hold it.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

Ok - I understand what you're trying to do now! Paxolin is tricky stuff to glue to. I think you would be better off getting some PCB material (copper-clad sleepers) and soldering the PB strip to that. The whole assembly can be glued to the chassis or whatever, and as you have a bigger gluing area the whole assembly will be more robust.

Reply to
Paul Boyd

And, you'll need epoxy PCB ! Not that brown paper-based rubbish.

Reply to
Wim van Bemmel