Loco lining tips

Please could some of you give me some tips on lining 00 gauge loco models. I'm an absolute beginner and just wonder what other people use: brush, bowpen or transfers if they're available. There are some 'lining pens' available from Pheonix Precision Paints at high cost. Does anyone have any experience of these?

I accept that a lot of practice will be needed but some indicators to start with would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Gavin.

Reply to
pix&sounds

I'd never do a good enough job by hand. I'd use transfers if available.

Reply to
MartinS

You could try getting some decal paper (waterslide transfers) in a solid color sheet. Cutting straight lines with a metal rule is a LOT easier than painting them. I have wide diagonal stripes on my freelanced road locomotives, and I cut them from the trim film and put them on. Use LOTS of setting solution to get them to snuggle down in the iregularities.

Reply to
Joe Ellis

The lining pens sold by Phoenix Precision used to be the Bob Moore pens. If they still are, they are excellent and I can thoroughly recommend them. Best to buy the kit with all 3 nibs as you will find you need them. You do need to practice a bit but it is not as hard as you might expect. The pens have guides for running along templates which simplify the task considerably.

Transfers also work well and for a beginner offer a cheap solution. I've used the Pressfix ones with some success. Difficulty is getting the joint invisible.

Have fun

Reply to
John Smith

Thanks for the advice. It's quite a big investment in the pens but it might be worth it as my experiments with a bowpen were something of a disaster!

Gavin.

Reply to
pix&sounds

sorry, but missed the earlier postings. Am building a city of truro, and will be needing some lining. (Creating it in the 1985 SVR April fools black BR livery.) Any tipps who makes the lining transfers, and where I can get them ??

Steve

Reply to
stephen

Wasn't it only painted black and lined on one side?

Alan

Reply to
Alan P Dawes

Yes It was, but I am doing both sides, but I still need lining ......

Stephen

Reply to
stephen