Mixing Scales (perspective)

Hi All

New to building my own, but did assist me dad in some HUGE loft set-ups in the distant (20 years ago +) past.. so not a complete beginner.. I'm worse.. (little knowledge being more dangerous than none!!)

I'm toying with the idea of an N gauge (got some trains and stuff) layout but to create an illusion of perspective I'm thinking of adding a little Z gauge Mountain railway at the back to help give illusion of perspective.. (dad did this with OO - N Gauge but had a MUCH larger space than me..)

baseboards going be about 6*8 and multilevel (so a big project)

so far I have a Graham Farish set (track, controller, loco and coaches) and am hoping to go to a local exhibition in a couple of weeks.

am I jumping to deep into this?? would I be better to keep this idea but build a few smaller layouts first?? (unfortunately I cant use me dad's wealth of knowledge as cancer took him from us 15 years ago)

TIA for any help..

and sorry for any parts of this post which are tired Questions reasked a thousand times a year... (I'm new here)

Mark

Reply to
Lostin1999

=>I'm toying with the idea of an N gauge (got some trains and stuff) layout =>but to create an illusion of perspective I'm thinking of adding a little Z =>gauge Mountain railway at the back to help give illusion of perspective.. =>(dad did this with OO - N Gauge but had a MUCH larger space than me..)

Your plan is eminently workable, but simply plunking a Z-csale train in the background won't be enough to do the job. You are trying to create an illusion of distance in a very small space, after all.

Visit a musem that has dioramas (eg, of a Roman town, etc) and study how they use "forced perspective". Very enlightening. In your case, put a "valley" between the foregorund and the background, so that there is a natural break, otherwise the eye will see the background as a connected extension of the foreground, and the illusion will be spoiled. The b4rak doesn't have to be large, an inch or so is enough, but the forground should have a horizon-line. Also, some lighting form above and below, to make the background seem paler will help - distant scenes seem washed out compared to foreground. Of course, paint is still the best way to create the illusion of distnce - study panoramic photos of mountain valleys for hints on how to shift colours towards the light-blue/grey inn the "distance."

With careful painting and lighting, and arrangement of scenic planes, you can achieve a stunning effect. Well worth the effort IMO. Good luck!

Wolf Kirchmeir ................................. If you didn't want to go to Chicago, why did you get on this train? (Garrison Keillor)

Reply to
Wolf Kirchmeir

I hope you've thought about arrangements to reach something stuck in the most remote part of the model. Sod's law will ensure that something **will** fall over at the place hardest to reach. If you think about it now, you'll have a way to reach that place when the railway is complete.

Up to you whether you start the "big project", or divert onto smaller "practise" projects. Some people find practise helps, others that they divert from the main goal.

Perspective will work - Copenhagen Fields uses it a lot - the buildings at the back are much smaller than 1:200 scale (Z is 1:220), and increases the apparent depth. But, you have to think about it or it runs a risk of looking silly. Some structures have to change perspective along their length, colour changes with distance; things further away tend to have a different hue to close viewing. Making the distant items less detailed might actually help the illusion.

Copenhagen Fields is probably the biggest city-scape model railway in 2mm scale anywhere (2mm scale is approximately N, but they'll shoot you if you say N-gauge :-) ).

Reply to
NC

perspective..

horizon-line.

Thanks for the advice...

the plan is to have a seaside town at the front (with appropriate seafront station etc) then a 'country scene' in the middle and a mountain (and fettling area screen made from said mountain) at the rear (half way up said mountain would be the Z gauge part.. sort of mountain railway type thing.. (still very much in planning stages hence the advice Request).

again thanks for the advice.. much appreciated

Mark

Reply to
Lostin1999

perspective..

Yeah gonna have a small Hatch in the middle.. however its gonna be long ways on, so to the center will be a max stretch of 3 foot so shouldnt be too bad... only prob ive come up with so far is as i only have a tiny car transporting it (should i wish to show it off at an exhibition) i may have to make it a 2 part base board.. and as yet i hae no idea about such things..

still got a bit of time to sort the planning fully..

i think im gonna try making a smaller version on a similar vein forst (spot pit falls etc) this will then be my test bed and home track for playing with.. trying out new idea's etc...

then move onto the bigger project (hopfully having learned lessons from any probs faced with the first build.

so to my next Question.. anyone know a reputable Dealer/shop in SE kent (or anywhere in kent) where i can start buying me bits?? my local shop can get most bits in, but id like to see stuff b4 i buy so i can picture it.

TIA and Thanks for help so far

Mark

Reply to
Lostin1999

In kent the only option I know of for Z is the hobby shop in Faversham

Peter Ibbotson