OT: Foam Sheet

I've had a quick google (oh matron!) to try and find some kind of thin foam sheet (no more than 3-4 mm thick, and very spongy) but haven't had any luck so far. Can anyone suggest a supplier of such? I'm looking to line a box with the stuff for holding model railway items.

(Note, jiffy foam is not suitable as it's too hard, as is bubble wrap).

Ian J.

Reply to
Ian J.

In message , Ian J. writes

Have you had a look at LocoLines? Look for LocoLeaves, which are

4mm profile 500mm x 320mm foam sheets for use in conjunction with LocoGuards for the storage of unboxed locos and rolling stock. Longer sheets available in the 320mm dimension

see

Jane Sullivan

Eeek! No disrespect, and I appreciate the thought, but that method of storage is what I'm trying to get away from. There's too much risk of damage to top and underside surfaces of vehicles...

I think I may have found what I'm looking for at RS Components

they have a product with RS number 303-2274, polyethylene foam rubber sheet. My only concern is whether it's inert or not (don't want to end up damaging the vehicles!), and whether it's spongy enough.

Ian J.

Reply to
Ian J.

Ian

Try your local B&Q or whatever. They sell thin grey foam sheet about

3-4mm thick for use as underlay for laminate flooring (when laid on floorboards).

I have half a pack left over and it is pretty soft. I had wondered about using it as track underlay.

From memory, B&Q had two types - the flat grey stuff in a zig-zag folded pack and some courser white rippled stuff on rolls.

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian

You could try the foam used for laying under laminate flooring.

Chris

Reply to
Chris

I will have a look at the 'flat grey stuff' this weekend. From memory the white rippled stuff is similar to jiffy foam, and that's too solid for what I need.

Ian J.

Reply to
Ian J.

[From my days in model aeroplanes]

"Make sure it's foam rubber and not foam plastic as the latter compresses to nothing so offers virtually no protection."

(kim)

Reply to
kim

Actually, all I need the foam to do is act as a light grip, so foam plastic could be better than foam rubber...

Ian J.

Reply to
Ian J.

Oh well, the stuff from RS wasn't right (too dense) and the grey stuff at B&Q was also too dense. I have the PECO locomotive cradle, and have just realised that the material it's made of is pretty similar to what I need, but just in a much thinner, sheet form. Still can't find a supplier though.

Ian J.

Reply to
Ian J.

This company have been selling foam since I was a kid 50+ years ago. It may be worth a call to them explaining what it is you want. I now live 100+ miles away from Addlestone in Surrey or I would pop in and ask :-) Over the years I've bought the foam that lines my stock boxes from them when I've been in the area. One aspect which has barely been touched upon is to find foam that does not react with plastics. Someone once gave me an almost unused Triang 'Nellie' in it's box. When I went to get it out I found that the foam packaging had 'glued' itself to the model. In the US at least one supplier of stock boxes is at pains to point this out in it's advertising.

Tony Comber

Reply to
shipbadger

You can get two varieties of foam sheet suitable for track laying from Exactoscale,

Keith

Reply to
Grovenor

Have a look at BandQ , the underlay for laminate flooring either in strips or rolls.. Seems to fit the spec you gave, and it lasts.

Reply to
Kirk

Hi try 4D Modelshop ltd at

Regards

Tony Cane

Reply to
t.cane

I will need to check out the material, but, if it's anything like either the PECO or Hornby track underlay foam then I believe that may well be the stuff I'm looking for! :-) However, it still needs to be inert (i.e., doesn't 'glue' itself to the plastic of models over a period of time...)

Ian J.

Reply to
Ian J.