Plastic centred wheels

Spent heck of a lot of time trying to get chassis running properly with these. Never really worked. Tires kept coming off and at first didnt put
them back very straight. Crankpins were never particularly straight - didnt help when soldered washers on - realised there was a problem when a crankpin just fell out without unscrewing. Took ages to get axles fully in and they were never particulary perpendicular. At first fiddled with coupling rods, then realised was crankpins in wheels. Finally got it running with only minor wobble. Gave up and got some Romfords, they went straight on to axles with no filing (thats quite rare for me). Crankpins straight as always. Chassis with coupling rods smooth as a nut.
Whats other peoples experience - any hints apart from dont solder ....:-)
Cheers, Simon

What brand?
I though Gibson wheels were plastic centred and I've never heard of issues with them.
MBQ
If they're plastic centred, I'm going to assume you're using Alan Gibson wheels. The only other plastic centred driving wheels currently available don't have tyre-falling-off problems!
1 - Tyres falling off. Before fitting the wheels, take the tyres off and make sure there are no moulding pips stopping the tyre sitting "square". Push the tyre back on, and use a *little* Loctite 601 in a couple of places to retain it.
2 - Don't solder crankpin washers on! Use the screw/nut type of crankpin.
3 - Fitting the wheels. De-burr/chamfer the axle end ever so slightly before fitting the wheels. Lick the axle first then push on carefully with a slight twisting motion. It should go on pretty much dead straight, and stay tight. Try to set up the quartering as soon as possible after fitting the wheels. You might also want to Loctite the wheel on, but I don't usually bother. Alternatively, splash out on a GW Models quartering jig!
Hope this helps!
simon wrote:

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.me.uk /

Not sure what make they were, tiny ones for shunter. They use Romford axles though so presume not Alan Gibson.
Thanks for the tip on Loctite, will get some 601 before trying to use anything like them again.
Cheers, Simon
Cheers, Simon
simon wrote:

Presumably the plastic centered wheels went on Romford 2mm wagon axles? (I've never seen any non-Romford wheels made for Romford squared end axles)
Take all the above advice!
How are you pressing the wheels on to the axles? Finger pressing can be enough to get wheels crooked on the axles, resulting in out of round holes. Before I built a press I used to use a basic drill press, axle in chuck and wheel over the base center hole. Take it out, second wheel over hole and chuck tightened on the short bit of axle showing. It worked quite well on wagon wheels. I turned a back-to-back block with an axle slot for the improved version.
Greg.P.

Dont know who manufactured the wheels I have but Scalelink do plastic centred for Romford axles. http://www.scalelink.co.uk/acatalog/Locomotive_Driving_Wheels_.html
Presume thats what Rails are selling. ?
CHeers, Simon Scale link do
On 01/10/2010 21:12, simon wrote:

Well, that's a range I didn't know about! It does seem as if the "default" option of crankpins for these plastic centred wheels is to solder a washer on - a daft idea! Go for the so-called "Deluxe" crankpins for use with plastic wheels.
--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.me.uk /

Saw some wheels at a show a couple of years ago. they had just started with 18 and 20mm sizes. Certainly would be good if can get on with them at that price ! On question - with the deluxe crankpins do you need to use bushed washers that go into the coupling rod holes otherwise coupling rods may stick in the crankpin screw threads. If so it makes for large holes ?
Cheers, Simon
On 02/10/2010 11:58, simon wrote:

Looking at the photos, the threaded retaining nut incorporates the bush, so the rods don't run on the thread at all. I would guess (hope!) that the bush is designed to take the "standard" 1.5mm hole in the coupling rod.
--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.me.uk /

Thought it was the normal diameter of a crankpin plus thickness of bush side, will have to measuree them. Incidentaly I glued crankpin washers on, seemed stay on ok - esp when came to remove them.
Cheers, Simon