Scratchbuilding in 2mm

HI guys,

Although I've been a scratchbuilder for many years, I'm fairly new to 'N' / 2mm scale.

Does anybody have a reliable and consistent method for simulating rivet heads in 2mm scale?

I've tried the traditional methods (glue dots, pin heads, styrene rod slivers etc), and quite a few materials. The raised detail produced using these methods would be fine for 'OO' or my more usual 1:35th scale models but are simply too course for 2mm / 'N' Gauge.

Since I use dry brushing fairly extensively on my models a raised detail is required, but I cannot achieve consistent results. Perhaps I'm using the wrong technique, tools or materials here and any advice would be gratefully received.

Regards Marshon

Reply to
marshon

"marshon" wrote in news:1170152250.548191.182570 @a75g2000cwd.googlegroups.com:

Not wishing to be rude but would you actually see rivit heads at 2mm to the foot? A 1" rivet head would work out at 1/6mm. Even on the 12" to the foot model rivet heads dissapear from sight once you're more than a few yards away from the thing.

Reply to
Chris Wilson

What materials, and what size rivet heads are you trying to reproduce ?

In general, standard rivets are too small to see in 2mm, so better left off in my opinion.

If etching metals, they can be done with half-etches, but the usual in 4mm and 7mm "push the dot through" method doesn't work for anything much smaller than a door banger rather than a rivet.

- Nigel

Reply to
Nigel Cliffe