Track Cleaning Methods

Was wondering what the groups opinions/expeirences with different/preffered method of track cleaning is.

I am currently considereing purchasing a relco electric track "cleaner" although I am aware that it doesnt actually clean the track as much as force the powrer to ignore the dirt.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Jon

Reply to
Jon

I use an old sock..

I find that it is abrasive enough to remove all dirt and leave the track polished, but not abrasive enough to actually leave the track all scratched.

And i can wear it like a glove and rub my hands along the track which enables me to get into any and all tight spots on my layout.

And it goes in the washing machine when the track cleaning session is finished :)

Pete

Reply to
mutley

The message from mutley contains these words:

How disappointing. I expected you to say that you put it back on when you'd finished!

(Perhaps you were never a student? Pick up handful of socks from floor, throw at wall. Those which fall to the floor have got several days wear left in them....)

Reply to
David Jackson

different/preffered

Clean or dirty? :)

and what type of sock works best cotton/wool??

and does it actually get it clean like the peco rubber?

Reply to
Jon

At last! Now I know what to do with the single sock I always seem to get back with my washing.

Thu, 29 Apr 2004 15:36:34 +0100, "J>

Reply to
Glanville Carleton

The only place I would use a Relco would be on an exhibition layout to avoid constant cleaning over a weekend of running! (but I don't)

There is no substitute for cleaning all wheels and rails at the same time and keeping them clean with a simple track wiper (mounted under a wagon) I also wipe a tiny amount of oil on the rail heads to minimise oxidation. This will also soften any gunk on wheels and give the impression of the oil collecting dirt - which takes you back to my point of cleaning rails and wheels at the same time.

I avoid abrasive cleaners as these do cause the rail heads to collect dirt.

Regards, Greg.P.

Reply to
Gregory Procter

salvé "Jon" skrev i meddelandet news:Rt7kc.18696$ snipped-for-privacy@fe17.usenetserver.com...

different/preffered

Toilet paper sprayed with Ajax rubbed over the rails and then wiped off after a minute with more clean T/P :) it works like magic and I havent noticed any damge to either PECO or FLEISCHMAN rail and plastic, it is quick non abrasive and works , which most other methods Ive tried dont!! Beowulf

Reply to
Beowulf

salvé "David Jackson" skrev i meddelandet news: snipped-for-privacy@zetnet.co.uk...

Throwing socks at wallpaper is bad for the wall paper, We tried this with a friends socks back in the late 70´s they stuck and eventually ate a hole in the wallpaper... talk about toxic----- Beowulf

Reply to
Beowulf

Don't you get little shreds of TP caught in your rail joints and points? Maybe Swedish TP is tougher!

Reply to
MartinS

He must use Izal.............. now that was tough! :-) Mick

Reply to
Mick Bryan

The message from "Mick Bryan" contains these words:

Good for spreading... ;-(

Reply to
David Jackson

ROTFL

Hi Dave.

Reply to
Mick Bryan

salvé

Well the track can develop the same interesting problem that Br has with straight through toilets........ 8^P this is why I use new double strenght t/p to avoid the cloggy bits..... Beowulf

Reply to
Beowulf

If I threw one of my socks at a wall, the wall would probably get out of the way!

Pete

Reply to
mutley

It's just my own opinion but afaic -anything- works better than a peco rubber. I think they're horrible things that not only scratch the track making the need for cleaning ever more frequent, but they leave behind little deposits which gunk up rolling stock wheels and point blades.

Pete

Reply to
mutley

IIRC two tone, one side for aggressive scouring and one for final polish.

Reply to
GbH

I use the OO gauge association track rubbers. Much better.

Reply to
John Sullivan

Where do you get them from??

Reply to
Jon

I get mine from the same shop as John ...

... oh that doesn't help much does it? :-)

There's a shop in Chadderton Rd, Bromley, but you might be able to get them mail order from the OO gauge association or your local shop might have them - I'm pretty sure they have a website somewhere, don't have the link to hand, sorry.

Reply to
Chris Wilson

In message , Jon writes

The OO Gauge Association :-)

Just Trains, Chatterton Road, Bromley, sells them.

Reply to
John Sullivan