Triang / Hornby track cleaning car - prototype?

Where I live, hardboard is smooth on both sides. Haven't seen the rough-sided stuff for some time.
--
Martin S.

My local timber merchant sells it by the truck load, 98p a sheet - 2'x 4'
--
All the best,

Chris Wilson
Where I live, hardboard is smooth on both sides. Haven't seen the rough-sided stuff for some time.
My local timber merchant sells it by the truck load, 98p a sheet - 2'x 4'
All the best,
Chris Wilson
They still use it to make / repair the backs of kitchen units ! You can still get it with either a white or natural smooth side.
Plywood is better to use than hardboard as it tends to crumble, especially if it gets even a little damp.
MDF would work too, it's very hard, but do not know about the effect on the track of the resin they use to bond it together ?
Chris

A year or two ago someone on here mentioned using a block of wood to clean track so I gave it a go ... tried all sorts of wood/wood products and was distinctly unimpressed with the results.
The rubber sold by the 00 guild as recommended by Jane though is the dogs do-dahs and is the basis of my home made track cleaning wagon.
--
All the best,

Chris Wilson
Chris Wilson wrote:

There's a big difference between cleaning the rails the first time and maintaining them in a clean state.
Regards, Greg.P.

Not on my layout there isn't :-(
--
All the best,

Chris Wilson
Chris Wilson wrote:

Either you're doing something very right or something very wrong! I use hardboard sliders mounted under wagons to "polish" the railheads - it works for me.
Regards, Greg.P.

Horses for courses pay a quick visit to the URL in my sig and look at a few of the images in the "Mk 3" catagory in fact here's the direct link (note no "tiny" URLs<g> - http://www.the-dormouse.org/categories.php?cat_id=3
They say a picture is worth a thousand words ... well you should soon see why my layout is dirty ...
--
All the best,

Chris Wilson
Chris Wilson wrote:

I've got an inkling - no, you don't need to abrade the railheads, you need a rail mounted vacuum cleaner! <seriously>
Regards, Greg.P.

I'm already ahead of you. You might have missed it but earlier in this thread I mentioned an outline design for a rail mounted vacuum cleaner mounted in a carriage that I've actually started work on.
When finished I aim to have a complete train disguised as an engineers train that brushes (or optionally depending on how dirty the track is - rubs), vacuums, oils and polishes all in a single pass.
--
All the best,

Chris Wilson
"Chris Wilson" wrote

If it shifts leaves and will clear crud from the rail surface as well then I'd suggest having a word with Notwerk Rail, they could do with such a beastie. ;-)
Wonder if you could incorporate a de-icer too?
John.

I know you're being TIC but I have actually given that some thought and potentially it is feasible - additional carriage ahead of the engine fitted with a hot air blower the current demands would be quite high, with everything running youd have the motor in the engine, a second on the vacuum (although if you were de-icing youd possibly not need this) and the third for the hot air blower. Additionally youd have the heating coil to power as well. If you were being really clever you could make the moter for the vacuum power both the vacuum and the hot air blower and run the train backwards when you were de-icing.
... and I have had ice in my garage ... I could apply for running rights on Jane's mainline through the usual Feb snowfall by way of testing. :-)
--
All the best,

Chris Wilson

We actually use a sort of rail-mounted vacuum cleaner in the Channel Tunnel, to try and reduce the amount of brake-dust etc build-up which can cause false smoke alarms. Experience has taught that it is a Good Thing to use it after the rail-grinder has being through as well- before we did that, it was not uncommon to have twenty or more alarms as the first train of the day passed through the works interval. Anyone passing through Ashford station will see Balfour-Beatty's version of the same thing stabled in the sidings outside their depot there. Brian

Nor mine. Being out in the garden, the track needs cleaning regularly, such as at the start of every operating session.
--
Jane
OO and DCC in the garden
Greg Procter wrote:

Definitely so, the EMGS have exactly the right answer, although not stated as such. They have a fibreglass rod about 13mm dia which will take anything off a rail surface, or indeed any other brass/copper surface. However the cleaned metal does start tarnishing almost before your eyes. They also have a polishing block which puts a nice polish on the rail which helps to maintain the surface. By itself it is no good at cleaning track, but use the 2 in conjunction & they do a lovely job.
--
Regards

Kevin Martin
Kevin Martin wrote:

That's the moment when I oil my track! Without oil my shiney railed track was lasting about 15 minutes before current collection started to fall off. With oil it goes for days of operation.
- problem: the oil on the railheads softens the crud on the wheels. - solution clean the wheels. - advantage; the wheels stay clean if the track is clean.
- problem: the oiled railheads attract dirt. - Solutions; deal with the sources of dirt. clean the rails with a soft wiper of some sort.

Yup, nothing wrong with polishing the railheads.
Regards, Greg.P.

Which oil do you use?

- problem: my railway is in the garden. Birds and animals defecate on the track, and leaves and fruit fall onto the track from overhanging trees - solution: trap the cats and squirrels and leave their carcasses out for the crows to dispose of. Pick the fruit before it gets so ripe that it falls off the trees. Buy a "garden blower" to blow the leaves off the layout. - advantage: you get even more birds in the garden - disadvantage: you still have to clean the track regularly, but not so much of it.
--
Jane
OO and DCC in the garden

...and we wonder why the general public perceive railway modellers as complete nutcases who should be separated from normal society....
Disgusted, Steve
writes

Dunno, heard magpies have pretty bad habits in gardens so should be shot on sight, but do crows have a similar reputation ?
cheers, Simon

As far as I am concerned, crows are OK. The help keep the garden nice and tidy, disposing of all the dead squirrels, etc.
--
Jane
OO and DCC in the garden