Triangular station?

When I was a kid I read an article about a junction station somewhere in (I think) England that had in effect 6 platforms either side of a triangular double tracked junction. Any ideas where it was/is? Was there more than one?

Jim

Reply to
Jim

titans

Reply to
titans

"titans" top-posted:

As we've been told about 20 times since that was posted on 8 Feb.

Reply to
MartinS

We've also been told several times that Shipley never had 6 platforms simultaneously!

Reply to
Mike Roebuck

Well, all six platforms are _there_; I counted them on Friday evening, but they're certainly not all in use. ;-)

Reply to
Darren J Longhorn

In message , titans writes

I'm not 100% sure, but if I remember correctly, Mangotsfield was like this.

Reply to
Clive

Forres on the Highland Railway used to be triangular. One line was from Inverness to Aberdeen, the other line went towards Aviemore via Grantown. This was prior to Beeching of course.

Reply to
John Wright

Mangotsfield had platforms on Gloucester-Bristol and Bath-Bristol lines, but not on Gloucester-Bath line about a quarter of a mile to the east.

Tony B.

Reply to
Tony B.

There is one I can think of. That is Lewes Station. That had 8 Platforms though. It now has 5. See:

is what I call triangular and sits on a junction of about several different lines. What do you think? Matt

Reply to
Matthames

"Matthames" wrote in

A triangular station is literally what it says - a station built on a triangle, with a junction at each of its three apexes.

John.

Reply to
John Turner
[ sorry for replying to "Matthames" via John's post, the OP's message hasn't shown up on my server]

Quite correct John, Lewis is just a normal junction station, the London lines platforms just have a (relatively) tight curve to them - the old Uckfield line connection was a little east of the station and the trains ran into Lewis from the East IYSWIM.

Reply to
Jerry.

Was Morfa Mawddach station triangualr at the time when the Barmouth-Llangollen-Ruabon line was in place? I'm not clear on the niumber of platforms but it must be at least three.

Reply to
Ian Davidson

It had 4 - 2 on the Barmouth - Dovey Junction line, and 2 on the Barmouth - Ruabon line. The Dolgellau - Tywyn (to use current spelling) spur was some distance from the station, and had no platforms - did it ever have a booked passenger service?

Peter

Reply to
Peter Masson

Was that before or after it was re-built and moved?

Reply to
d405

Well, if it's any help, the current station remains have two platform faces with trackbed, the third side of the triangle is a good few hundred yards away from the station

Reply to
Stimpy

Didn't Earlstown have platforms on all sides of a triangle with the added attraction of a colliery line going right through the center of the triangle. (A bit drunk so I apologise for any idiot statements) 8^)

-- Dave Croft Warrington

Reply to
Dave Croft

I don't know, but Queensbury did.

MartinS

Dave... (My old Post Office Telephones/BT mate)

Wake up at the back there - this thread is ages old! Here is a copy of what I posted on 10th February:

----------------------- Gitf> There was also a line which cut straight though the Liverpool - Manchester

----------------------------(Begins)

Yes Indeed!

That was the oldest line of all, being originally a horse tramway from Haydock Collieries to Sankey Wharf on the Sankey Canal, which pre-dated the Liverpool & Manchester Railway. It crossed the L&M on the flat at Earlestown No. 3 Signal Box (manned as required by platform staff). It also had a North to East curve facing Manchester, joining the L&M at Earlestown East Jn. (No. 2 SB).

It needed a reversal in what became the triangle at Earlestown and was altered in layout circa 1901-1902 when much of the station at Earlestown was rebuilt. As far as the original L&M building was concerned, only the steep pitch of the roof was lowered and the platforms raised, causing a 'step-down' into the old offices and waiting room. All the other buildings, 1902 - 1974, were of standard LNWR turn-of-the-century design. Their demolition coincided with the WCML electrification, though only the East Curve was actually wired, the Liverpool link being deleted by accountants!

The central L&M building was completely restored for the Rocket 150 celebrations of 1980, then served as a manned exhibition centre for that year, later becoming the LCGB (North West) clubroom. In this guise it was repeatedly broken into and vandalised and finally torched into a burned out shell by the local yobboes. (If I appear to write all this with some feeling, I was the main key holder who was repeatedly got out of bed by the police and fire services until we gave up and surrendered the lease).

The mineral line lasted until 1966, latterly taking coal from Haydock to the Sankey Sugar Works and BR van traffic to and from the T&T Vicars (now Simon Engineering) factory behind the old Pl. 4. The reversal point was changed to a long headshunt almost opposite my own house, which was also shared by BR as required, just below the South Junction (Earlestown No. 1) where my Dad was the signalman for almost 20 years. This box handled all the Haydock to Sankey Wharf and Warrington coal yards trains as well as the BR main line services.

The passenger services on the West Curve were withdrawn in

1965 but reinstated in 1993, running hourly between Liverpool and Warrington BQ & Chester/Ellesmere Port. The Chester extension was deleted a few years later and Ellesmere Port reduced to 3, then 1 through services out of the 15 per day each way. There have been 3 further trains cut since, mostly in the late evening.

I have loads of photos of Earlestown which I took when everything post 1902 was still there and in use. These include the Haydock mineral trains crossing the L&M and running up from Sankey Wharf, also BR coal trains with BR engines working over the East curve of the mineral line between Haydock and the (then) new Parkside Colliery, the modern washery of which took over washing Haydock's output. This produced the remarkable sight of the same coal trains running loaded in each direction, up & down the Haydock branch!

Just to add a bit more to that: the West Curve was singled back in 1972, leaving the old platform 4 (to Liverpool & St. Helens) trackless. Platforms 5 & 6 on the East Curve (Manchester to North Wales) were then renumbered to 4 & 5, which is as they remain today.

Regards,

Eddie.

Eddie Bellass, Mythical Merseyside, in the Occupied Territories of Old Lancashire, UK.

Eddie Bellass