Upgrading a Mamod steam loco to radio control

Hi

For the past few days I've been adapting my mamod steam loco to radio control using IP engineering's kit. For someone like myself with limited metal-bashing abilities it's been quite a project!

Should find out tonight whether the thing actually works now- it was always a brilliant runner in its out-of-the-box state and hopefully still will be...

Anyone else attempted such a project? Like to share your experiences?

Julian

Reply to
Julian Jordan

Julian,

Apart from any help you get from subscribers to this group, you might want to subscribe to the 16mm group in Yahoo, who cover such topics.

Be sure you can take the traffic from this group in your Inbox - they do generate a lot of messages :-)

Jim.

Reply to
Jim Guthrie

... but as with other Yahoo Groups you can choose the daily digest option if you prefer, or even select no e-mail & read messages on the website.

Reply to
David Biddulph

Well, guess what? The loco works a treat on radio control now. A few cosmetic tweaks needed but basically it's there

Julian

Reply to
Julian Jordan

I did mine about 10 + years ago, when I was about 16-17 years of age. We (My metal work teacher and myself) decided to have a go at building a meths burner. All went well till one day we must have over filled the burner, it blew back into the cab and set fire to the servos. The idea of this was it was better than keep sliding in and out the solid fuels tray.

Glad to hear it works OK. Not sure mine has steamed since, not that I have anywhere to run it now as moved home twice since then.

Andy Sollis CVMRD

- Home of the Churnet Valley Model Railway Department Remove the 4F from E-mail to reply

For the past few days I've been adapting my mamod steam loco to radio control using IP engineering's kit. For someone like myself with limited metal-bashing abilities it's been quite a project!

Should find out tonight whether the thing actually works now- it was always a brilliant runner in its out-of-the-box state and hopefully still will be...

Anyone else attempted such a project? Like to share your experiences?

Julian

Reply to
Andy Sollis- Churnet Valley model Railway Dept.

That is a fascinating meld of disparate technologies. ;-)

Reply to
MartinS