N guage chassis etc

I'm thinking of buying some old N guage engines to convert to 009 ... just to get me started so to speak. However I know less about n guage than I do about anything else, especially the older stuff I'm likely to buy-up for butchering purposes.

Anyone suggest any makes/models to look out for and those to avoid?

Reply to
Chris Wilson

Buy Arnold, Minitrix, Kato,... (anything German or Japanese) Avoid Graham Farish, Rivarossi, Bachmann ...

Look for metal chassis and avoid plastic chassis.

OO9 has the advantage of weight (put in lots of weight!) to aid current collection which causes the motor to revolve and the loco to move. Locos not moving somehow spoils the effect of a model railway.

Regards, Greg.P.

Reply to
Greg Procter

"Greg Procter" wrote

My mate builds 009 locos professionally and he generally uses Bachmann chassis when available. Suitably tweaked these can prove not only *very* cheap cost-wise, but also can be made to run extremely sweetly.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

I build professionally too, and only once allowed myself to be persuaded to use a Bachmann (0-4-0t) chassis - the result ran like a scalded mouse - the owner was happy.

Remember, the question was about using old chassis, not new or the latest products.

Regards, Greg.P.

Reply to
Greg Procter

Thanks to both of you. German or Japanese if old (most likely) Bachmann being OK if new ... assuming I can find one in a bargain bucket. ;-)

Reply to
Chris Wilson