So ...

... you're just standing there admiring your work.

You've spent a year drawing plans, trying out track plans, constructing the baseboards, jigging points around until you're happy with what you've got. Then you start to lay track in earnest, wire up the point work, sort out the isolating sections (please no dcc comments!), start to scenic the whole thing. You take a year or two doing this - after all you do have a life out side of your model railway. Then you move on to the next phase and incorporate a NG add-on and construct the exchange sidings and all is well with the world.

Then as you're stood there admiring all your hard work it suddenly dawns on you that the only reason you have a seven road roundhouse is that just before laying out your plans you'd bought a turn-table and didn't want to waste the money. And you think to yourself, "Why have I got an engine shed that can comfortably hold 20+ engines, coaling facilities that would make Steamtown go green with envy stuck next to a medium sized station on a secondary line, that by the way has almost near non existent good facilities?".

So you bite the bullet and lift the tracks to and inside the round house, the coaling stage goes under the hammer, the custom made control panel is ripped out and yes, you can see it all reforming in your minds eye. "What if I take that road that went from the maintenance shed to the staging area and re-route it so that it goes into the third platform road - that way I'll have a branch line". Great! So you do it and it looks good. So you think to yourself, "Well, while I'm at it I might as well re-lay the approach to the private exchange sidings, end loading dock and cattle pens. After all there is a bit of kink there". So you do that as well, and again it looks great. It really is coming together again but then you think, "Now if I'm going to put all those sidings where the roundhouse was, wouldn't it be a good idea if I had a goods loop?".

So out comes everything else, and two hours later you look back on your work and see a twin oval with a spur running to a branchline and precious little else. Excepting of course so much piled up track even Beeching would have baulked at, a forest of wires poking up through the baseboards, stacked points and ballast everywhere.

Oh ... and no working railway.

Just thought I'd share my experiences of the last couple of days with the group.

Reply to
Chris Wilson

If it ain't broke don't try and fix it.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

If it ain't broke you're not really trying.

Greg.P.

Reply to
Greg Procter

spamtrapped.http://www.the-dormouse.orgThe Dormouse Line model railway

I have reached the point where I have rationalised my rolling stock and system brutally and still have more than at the beginning of the cull. Contemplated higher and lower systems for storage - even through the wall to the grenier! Presently settled for an under the bench storage siding but the building site looks rather as Chris described.

Regards

Reply to
Sailor

"Chris Wilson" wrote

Big grin - the only modellers that have not been through that, are the ones that have done nothing! ;-)

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Greg Procter wrote in news:46FDE96C.DF77FD53 @ihug.co.nz:

Now that I like ... :-)

Reply to
Chris Wilson

I'm not a million miles away from hitting a similar kind of situation myself! :-)

I put together a plan that I thought achieved my wants, and laid track and points to suit, and ballasted it (big mistake!), got it electrically operative with a full cab control system so I could switch between DC and DCC control with lots of isolating sections.

Several months later after I'd had a long break due to work commitments, I came back to the layout only to think 'that curve's too tight', that track has a dogleg in it', etc. Also, I was now ready to go DCC completely which of course could mean much more straightforward wiring. Suddenly everything just looked oh so wrong. It would need to be completely ripped up and reworked!

I lost heart at that point and decided I needed to 'let the field lie fallow' for a while. So in the meantime I constructed some modular board sections (1'x4' straights and 3' radius curves) for use in combination as a test layout, but also ultimately to form a small fiddle yard set for whatever layout I finally built. Though not perfect, they are now nearing completion. Work and other commitments have slowed progress, but they are operational. So when up and running, which they aren't at the moment, I can at least give locos a decent thrash round! ;-)

Now I'm beginning to turn my attention back to the main layout idea, and am fearing the work required to strip down the three boards that are in error (that form the station), and correct what I can of the problems on the other two (that form the engine shed). Fortunately I have always needed to think in a modular way with my layout as I tend to move with more frequency that I'd like. The track connections between are based (or at least will eventually be based) on a common positioning, so I wouldn't always have to use the shed and station together. In fact, I don't have space to put up all the layout in one go!

Reply to
Ian J.

My problem is that I use Templot so I'm spending all my time designing and re-designing a layout the baseboards for which are all that exists. However, shorter hours of daylight in the months ahead should see me make a start on something or other...

Reply to
Bruce

The message from "John Turner" contains these words:

Or have already made a million mistakes on previous layouts, and decided that enough is enough. The way forward then is to let the Ordnance Survey design the layout, photographs supply the details, and WTTs and Sectional Appendices supply the operating details.

Then you find that the OS got it wrong...

Reply to
David Jackson

Another sufferer of "The Curse Of Templot" (TM) ;-) Soddingham-under-Piddle has just rotated 45' so it runs diagonaly accross the room...... all because one diamond was at 3.9 instead of the minimum 4 and the red bit in the info box was irritating.... Now, that headshunt looks a bit long, I wonder if a down reception.....

Here we go again!

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

On 29/09/2007 15:24, beamendsltd said,

Can I stick my hand up here as well??? On my latest layout-in-waiting, it's just as well I didn't actually start cutting wood :-) In my case I'm trying to get rid of the need for a double slip because the Colonel didn't ever use them, AFAIK, although he had a Barry slip at Chichester...

Reply to
Paul Boyd

David Jackson wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@zetnet.co.uk:

LOL!

A few more observations ...

After lifting your track, reorienting the yard and then attempting to make your newly recovered track fit one has to bare in mind that all those expensive turn-outs are now pointing in the wrong direction and a surplus of right hand turnouts becomes a dearth of now very necessary left hand ones.

And once having made that which you have fit one finds that all the cuts one?s made in the track to make isolating sections are now very much in the wrong place and all those long, carefully lifted and eminently reusable pieces of long trackwork have become undersize once all those isolated sections are taken in to consideration.

Well at least my brand new branchline now meets the main.

Reply to
Chris Wilson

The consequences of circumstance beset me - For years I was a carer, hence unable to meaningfully persue my hobby other than building layouts for other peoples kids (learned a lot though), to pass the time I built N Gauge wagons for the eventual layout, lots of them, including most unusual types, which meant I needed a lot of standard ones to re-ballance the scene. I now have a couple of cubic feet of rolling stock and ten passenger coaches (assorted, not including the ten four wheelers built for a local lad who then 'went military'), but only five brake vans and only a limited number of locos - four steamers for a light railways, three Big Four steamers, six BR green era diesels and a DMU, two American (with a doizen freight cars) and four European (with about a dozen pieces of frighteningly expensive RTR goods stock). The space I now live in bears no relation to the plans I have played with, half the locos turn out to be non runners. I have about 20 Peco points (old style, N Gauge), al live frog, a box of 30 yards of track purchased in the 1980s, a lot of Hornby Minitrix curves and straights, some assorted track from variuos other manufacturers, two Fleichmann 'starter sets' with a couple of points, three way points and a slip.

Quite fancy a 1980s freight biased layout, probably a small shunting type layout.

Sigh

Mike

Reply to
Mike Smith

At 59°N latitude, you're going to have lots of long dark nights...

Reply to
MartinS

In message , Paul Boyd writes

Was that in internal or external Barry slip?

Reply to
Jane Sullivan

On 29/09/2007 19:59, Jane Sullivan said,

It was an internal Barry slip. An external one would be something a little different though!

Reply to
Paul Boyd

Yeah, but look at all the spare short make-up sections of track you've got stockpiled for the next layout! You'll never again have to cut a 101.7mm length off a new length of track.

Greg.P.

Reply to
Greg Procter

errrr........wot's a Barry slip please?

Reply to
john dolan

In message , john dolan writes

or

Jane Sullivan

On 29/09/2007 21:57, john dolan said,

I'm not sure if you have to be a member or not to read posts, but scroll down a bit here:

Paul Boyd