Is there a "Johnny" in your shop?

Inspired by the "grumpy old man" subthread in r.c.m but I've wondered this for a long time:

Do most shops have an old guy named "Johnny" or "Johnnie" (not just plain old John) who is really good at his job (may or not be grumpy)? :) Two of the three metal-related shops where I have worked did have.

Has anyone noticed other "coincidences" or "givens" in his trade?

Randy

Reply to
Randy Replogle

I noticed in Kansas CIty at at least 3 shops i worked at guys with tools with the name of the teacher of my 2nd year apprentice classes . He worked at Bendix where they built nuclear bombs and stold (and resold) everything in sight. So much for their security. I've also noticed incompetent management at most of my previous workplaces althought somehow they all looked different. Rosco

Reply to
Dr. Butter

Under the coincidences catagory:

1 Everyone has some form of shop at home. 2 Love to repair broken things. 3 Love to improve things even if they don't need improvement. 4 Collect stuff until they need a bigger house. 5 Fix thier own cars and trucks. 6 Most own a firearm. 7 Spend more time planning out a job than it takes to do the job. 8 Allways have a G-Job in progress. 9 Above average deductive reasoning. 10 Good at math and science.

Just some things i noticed working in shops U.S. and Europe.

Best Regards Tom.

Reply to
azotic

I think that comes under "given" :) Randy

Reply to
Randy Replogle

I recall a story about a few hundred lbs of enriched uranium "stolen" and sold to Israel, could be your teacher's job too.

Ignoramus17336

And can't spell worth shite.....

That whole "I before E except after...C" thing is just weird ancient science, isn't it?

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

But just when we fancied that spelling had become a science, a prescient foreign geisha woman named Deirdre Oppenheimer came down from the heights of a glacier, tore off her veil, seized an ancient financier, and shamed our consciences grievously. "This society is inefficient!", she inveighed. "I wasted my leisure becoming proficient in cuneiform hieroglyphs. Either reimburse me with the value of the Einstein coefficient, or I will drag this man back to my hacienda in Muncie, wherein he will forfeit his life!"

I feigned interest, but looked for our feisty concierge Neil, whom I might inveigle into reining in this weird being. But he had gone to Anaheim, Beijing, Madeira and Taipei with Alexei to shop for a beige geiger counter. His absenteeism made me feel like queueing for the exit. The only sound was the neighing of the sheik's eight reindeer, chewing their edelweiss.

I turned to Sheila, the Budweiser heiress. "Cease your surveillance of the sleigh and its freight! We must stop the reign of this plebeian atheist!" I must have hit a vein, because she deigned to put down her counterfeit kaleidoscope proficiently, albeit only to point out a weird Klein bottle full of nucleic proteins. "Therein is the skein of meiosis," she said, "the leitmotif of our species, of seismic importance to our homogeneity. It would surfeit a meistersinger, a sovereign, or even an omniscient deity like Poseidon."

Decreeing my obeisance, I offered the paperweight, a Meisterbrau stein, and a Holstein heifer to the heister. Agreeing that it was sufficient, she reinstated the old wisenheimer, fleeing with spontaneity via Boeing to Beirut.

Regards, Marv (Brass Rat '63, VIII)

Home Shop Freeware - Tools for People Who Build Things

Marvin W. Klotz

Don't know about Johnny but I have noticed that in every shop I have worked in there is always a "f***ing a**hole.

Errol Groff

Reply to
Errol Groff

LMKO

(Laughing my keister off)

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

Ken.

Reply to
Ken Davey

That's just 'cause you've got the thermostat turned up, and you forgot to shave :)

Reply to
Don Bruder

In my younger years as a German Auto Mechanic, it was always Hans, Ludwing, Waldemar, etc. This was the boss, or various retired characters who came to visit weekly. Most of these guy apprenticed in Nazi Germany. I learned a lot about machines and problem solving, listening to these guys and that has paid off well in my life. Old guys might be stupid sometimes or geniuses, but they all have experience. A half hour listening to the wrong way to do something is still beneficial, but sometimes what these guys have is "lost art". I havent reached 50 yet, but I consider it an obligation to pass on what useful things I know to younger men who care to learn.

Reply to
Stupendous Man

speaking of F-A-H ---- do a search for Martha Wainwright (sister to Rufus) - she has an EP out with a title that will at least catch your attention.....

Reply to
William Noble

Many of the better machinists I've met have been left handed.

Matt

Reply to
Matt Stawicki

Yup! Sometimes on my side of the counter, sometimes on the other....

:-)

Cheers Trevor Jones

Reply to
Trevor Jones

Because we've been forced to cater to the majority .

Reply to
Snag

Creative, right brain stuff, like artists. Although, I'm a machinist and a musician and I'm right handed. I guess I must be mediocre at both. :( Randy

Reply to
Randy Replogle

Matt Stawicki wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

I'm ambidextrous, does that mean I'm an average machinist?

Reply to
Anthony

Nope, just means you have twice as many chances on a slow Saturday night.

Couldn't resist Tony. :)

Best, Steve

Reply to
Garlicdude