Is there a "Johnny" in your shop?

Left-handed people are also significantly more likely to be gay, even more so for females. So that really creative machinist with the lavender machine... NTTAWWT.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

Spehro:

A couple of excerpts from the following published study:

National Association for Research & Therapy of Homosexuality

"Is There a Link Between Left-Handedness and Homosexuality?"

N. E. Whitehead, Ph.D. snipped-for-privacy@paradise.net.nz

Analyzing a number of studies, their paper concludes that male homosexuals are about one third (31%) more likely than heterosexuals to be left-handed (2), while lesbians are almost twice as likely (91%) to be left-handed as heterosexual women.

Using their results, it is possible to derive a number, which shows the extent of any link there may be between homosexuality and left-handedness. Here's how it's done. Given that 2.7% of adult Western males are homosexuals and 1.7% of adult Western women female homosexuals (both figures including bisexuals, and defined as activity in the last

12 months [4]) we can calculate by standard methods that only 3.9% of left-handed males are homosexual, and only 3.3% of left-handed females are lesbian (5). ================================================================

Personally, I wouldn't say that the 3.9% of left-handed males that are homosexual falls in the range of "significantly" more likely to be gay.

Reply to
BottleBob

Wow, 31% more likely! That's pretty significant. But most are probably just latent. ;-)

The United Steelworkers Union recommends starting a "Steelworker Pride Committee"

"Wearing a button or putting a poster on the union bulletin board sends a message of solidarity to our sisters and brothers"

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

Spehro:

LOL I can only assume you're yanking my ankle. According to the article 31% of homosexual males are left-handed, but only 3.9% of left-handed males in the general population are homosexual. It's interesting how some people seem to interpret informaiton/statistics to fit their biases, or to make one point or another.

BTW Is Spehro Pefhany some sort of anagram, or is it a real name?

Reply to
BottleBob

Which is interesting as about 10% of the general population are gay.

So it would indeed seem that lefthanders tend to be fudgepackers.

Now I wonder..is an ambidexterous person likely to be bisexual?

Gunner

- Proverbs 22:3

Reply to
Gunner

Gunner:

That would be one out of 10 males! *IF* true, they must gravitate to a different area than the places I frequent. I personally don't know of any gays at work, where I live, or the places I go (at least not blatantly gay).

Reply to
BottleBob

You know what I resent are homosexuals stealing the word "Gay" from early 20th century vocabulary. Grandma whom was born in England often had a job to daycare me while mom and dad were at work when grandma often talked about the good old days she used to have. She goes on to tell me after quite some conversation as I made a racetrack out of her oval carpet Oh she would say you can't imagine how Gay and happy we were, we had such a gay time in my day.

John

Reply to
John Scheldroup

True.

.... or yank your chain. ;-) It's hard to tell about this 10% business. The numbers are all over the place (like 5:1), probably depending on the definitions and how the information was gathered. The relative numbers might be more reliable since presumably the methods were consistent.There's also apparently the effect from being younger of several male siblings (fraternal birth order). Having 4 older brothers is ~10 times as strong a correlation as left-handedness.

It's real.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

The theme song for the "Flintstones" cartoons was changed when they were released into syndication. The original was "We'll have a gay old time", but it was changed to "We'll have a great old time".

I ran the original version on a AFRTS TV station back in the '70s, when a TV station was lots of metal, instead of plastic. :)

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

What would you have said about Ted Haggard, Mark Foley or Ken Mehlman before they were outed? (I am not sure about KM---the rumor is making rounds, e.g. Bill Maher, but I haven't heard direct confirmation). I wouldn't have known. I do know gay people at 'business'. They are fine folks; their orientation is not an issue.

I believe in an utilitarian argument for tolerance that goes like this: a gay-unfriendly atmosphere actually works against the interests of straight majority into which I count myself, because it promotes an illicit profile of gay relationships, and actually might help to perpetuate the predatory behavior. It seems to me that this might explain the paradox of people like Haggard or Foley being strongly anti-gay and anti-gay-marriage: normalization would take away their power in their illicit relationships.

Think about it: if a heterosexual marriage wasn't the norm, who would be most opposed to it? wouldn't it be someone who enjoys casual sleeping around? The married Catholic w/children in me says "If you sleep with someone you gotta marry them, hetero or not"; enough of this free ride for gays :)

Reply to
przemek klosowski

When I was a kid it was "We'll have a gay old time".... those raw hollywood assholes runed something nice that were precious for a little kid. Thanks for the story Mike.

John

Reply to
John Scheldroup

No..actually that 10% figure includes lesbians as well, so if it were a straight split (pun intended) it would be 5% of each. Or 5 out of 100. Which I could well believe.

Shrug..I live in California..where gays tend to be very much "out" and most are not the effeminate Princesses we see portrayed on TV. So while the populaton in one area may be very light in gays, in others where they have moved to be among others ..it may be very high. West Hollywood is such a place. There are several towns on the East coast where lesbians make up the biggest percentage of the population, having moved there to be in a large and growing population of "their own"

Shrug.

I know a number of big burly guys, whom you wouldnt know were gay. They are just regular folks, except who they sleep with. I know a number of ladies..stone foxes..utter heartbreakers..who prefer ladies. Not the big bull dykes one associates with lesbians.

Takes all kinds.

Gunner

- Proverbs 22:3

Reply to
Gunner

My dad used to work at that Bendix plant.

Reply to
Dave Lyon

Okay, so I'm late and catching up, but Gunner wrote on Mon, 13 Nov 2006 05:04:46 GMT in rec.crafts.metalworking :

I wonder how many are "gay" and how many are just "camp"? And how many are "passing" because it is considered normal for the field, if not a requirement.

tschus pyotr

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

Humm...perhaps John Carrol would care to follow up on this? Personally..Ive no desire to determine the details.

Gunner

Gunner

Thats cuz most of the gays now have their own TV show.... Ken.

Reply to
Ken Sterling

Okay, so I'm late and catching up, but Gunner wrote on Wed, 15 Nov 2006 03:52:15 GMT in alt.machines.cnc :

I recall a column by D.Keith Mano, a list of things "which scrapped his carrot." Along with freight forwarders who spelled 'Kuwait' with a Q, people who consider him a layabout for sleeping till noon (never mind he just pulled a double shift), were gays of all type. "Homosexuals, on the other hand, are often interesting people." The day Bruce wore a lavender shirt to church, I was so tempted to ask "If you're an interior decorator, you going to have to stop perpetuating unfortunate stereotypes." I was amused.

tschus pyotr

Reply to
pyotr filipivich