You're all idiots

I used to have a lot of respect for the knowledge of the people in this newsgroup. However the recent discussion of safety chains, and the inability of the whole lot of you to figure out how to shorten one without a huge amount of sturm und drang, and the abuse that you have heaped upon me over the method that I showed, that I learned from my father who sailed before the mast back when that meant literally sailing, and who learned to do such things in the school of hard knocks known at the "Seabees" during WWII, and which any competent engineer would be able to tell you is structurally sound, has revealed to me that you're all blithering idiots who talk a good game but don't have a lick of common sense between you.

I can't believe that you bunch of IDIOTs can't figure out how to shorten a damned chain.

Reply to
J. Clarke

when you see a message cross posted to "survivalism", it means idiots and abuse

Reply to
Bill Noble

Mr. Clarke, You are confusing me. You criticize the group for not possessing the knowledge to shorten a chain and yet you obviously do not know, because you asked the question. Sounds like a very good case of self criticism for a task that is rather simple. Did you expect the group to do your measurements, determine the type and location of the attachment points and pull the correct length out of our ass? Steve

Reply to
Steve Lusardi

I usually use a torch if the chain is too big for my bolt cutters.

Gunner

I am the Sword of my Family and the Shield of my Nation. If sent, I will crush everything you have built, burn everything you love, and kill every one of you. (Hebrew quote)

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Odd..I seldom see you on misc.survivalism. But when you do...I agree..idiot and abuse.

I am the Sword of my Family and the Shield of my Nation. If sent, I will crush everything you have built, burn everything you love, and kill every one of you. (Hebrew quote)

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Or if it's a G70 chain.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

ledge to shorten a chain and yet you obviously do not

f criticism for a task that is rather simple. Did you

of the attachment points and pull the correct length out

Mr. Clarke did NOT ask the question. He did, however, post a pretty good answer. With pictures.

Reply to
rangerssuck

I once cut one with a Dremel. ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise
6x?eTMsÔ0 ½çWèÐ)?4f?vJ? ?z`ztmâ?\Kn~=²·aº°·ÈOOOÒÓ^SÉ`D0$!HÄ&???? £@ÆäW? ÃÎ8#\ > üºî?Àb8¾ø?½Éw2eà;Å?p_ÅQìá¦h`t#p¹ NQ²±â¬ñ=thx??2Ó;Êp[TÊL~tq???'b?#ÐNÓíl\TW°F¤ñ??YEs¢8bf°TüX5?ö-F?yÕ6W?K}Ö6b@Ç3e??±÷ O)÷O¸l´HY?ª«õªfn?NzPùÝ/á.?°?tã
Reply to
Wild_Bill

Don't know about you, but mine came from about twenty years of actually working with them. You shorten a chain by cutting it. If you want to safely join two sections together, you use a twin clevis link.

Then there's limitations on what you can use that altered chain for according to OSHA and OPI standards, but that's another discussion.

Sorry your information is all second hand from your Dad, and does not come from your own experience. That must suck. For me, it came from being a several time OSHA certified rigger, Offshore Petroleum Institute rigger, certified crane operator, certified hard hat diver, two years as a diver tender, and just allaround grunt, worm, and weevil who rigged up a lot of miles of chain for lifts.

Steve, just another uneducated fuckwad, but if you want to lift something safely, call me.

Reply to
Steve B

SHIT, Gunner. Coffee on the monitor. Again! ROTFLMAO, but THE answer to the man's question.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

I got a set of 4' long Made in USA bolt cutters, and I've even used them with a cheater pipe to cut some things. But then, they won't cut EVERYTHING, and it's smoke wrench time.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

"J. Clarke" on Tue, 19 Oct 2010 01:25:57 -0400 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

Have considered the small detail that perhaps the respondents don't know?

And that they are pointing out what they perceive as potential problems?

I'm recalling a story of a guy who grew up in a bad neighborhood (back before they became known as 'hoods), who had started running when a drive by occurred. He was grabbed by an adult and "taught" the important lesson: "Where the hell you running, boy! Don't you know you're suppose to drop to the ground when the shooting starts?!" No, he hadn't but he learned the lesson. Guys tend to ask questions in a confrontational manner: If you do it that way it will break! is similar "you know that if you do it that way it will break!"

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

Just be careful not to affect the next link.

Ignoramus379

You're addressing a group of what's left over, after a newsgroup has deteriorated from off-topic abuse that no one wanted to address when it started.

So, as you and many others have disccovered, the old RCM ain't what it used to be, and you're one of many that have expressed their dissatisfaction.

Countless knowledgeable and friendly former regular participants have realized what you have, and have moved on to find other forums where there are others who are willing to reasonably discuss only related topics.

You could show a friend the method that you offered to RCM, and they would probably appreciate that you had.

Some in RCM would rather tie knots in chain, or twist it to shorten it, and feel they had accomplished something, while others in RCM will agree, since it doesn't cost anything to use such a foolish method.. and this is what they'll pass on to others. Insurance companies will probably continue to cover damages and funeral expenses, lawyers will continue to collect major fees.

Hey, wuddaya gonna do? A buddy frequently states: Take heed, and govern yourselves accordingly.

Reply to
Wild_Bill

"Wild_Bill" wrote

What reason is there to hold up the loose end of a chain? What purpose does this loose end have except to drag, and offer another place to catch highway debris? Mr. Clarke just showed his depth of knowledge on how to do something unsafe. If a chain is too long, cut it off! If it needs to be lengthened for another vehicle or tow configuration, put it back on SAFELY with a twin clevis.

Sheesh.

Steve

Heart surgery pending? Read up and prepare. Learn how to care for a friend.

Steve B

And then, there's always the slant that there are still some people here who DO know what they are talking about, and then, there's REALITY, where right is just plain right.

Reality is nature's way of keeping things straight. When you rig something up wrong, it can work. And when you rig something up right, it can fail. We're just talking about how to do it right. What works is all over the map. It is not the fault of the group that a person would rather trust their Dad's opinion, and dis a lot of people who have actually BTDT, and has the attitude of , "Well, this is the way I do it, and it works for me."

There's a hundred ways to cook a poodle, but it all tastes like chicken.

Steve

Heart surgery pending? Read up and prepare. Learn how to care for a friend.

Steve B

In what way is Mr Clarke's method unsafe? Look at a picture....get a clue! Steve

Reply to
Up North

Nah. Dog doesn't taste anything like chicken - it's a lot more like buffalo, but gamier.

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

I read the replies from those that seem to think they know what they're talking about..

when in REALITY, they can't understand a clear explanation, or even a simple picture when it's provided for them.

Replies like that cheap carabiner will break, jumping to the conclusion that J Clarke was actually suggesting that the trailer load could be secured with the cheap carabiners. You stupid, misguided fucwit.

Up there on your high horse, Steve B, and others, you'll take exception with someone that has provided A safe, reliable and inexpensive solution.

I didn't say his method was THE solution, I stated that it was practical.

Did you not see the replies regarding tying knots in chains (and twisting them to shorten them), or maybe you're just selective of who you will take the time to try to strike up an argument with.

Doesn't matter to me, couldn't give a FRA.. I only read your posted questions because they're ridiculously funny.

Reply to
Wild_Bill