So ...

Then someone in the club shows you that beautiful little N gauge loco he has just purchased and you think "Now if I just bit the bullet and changed gauge what a layout I could fit in the space then...."
Been there, done that.
Manxcat
Reply to
Manxcat
It took me 3 years to lay the track, rip it up, relay it, ballast and paint, rip it up, relay it, ballast and paint. Now 3 years later it recently occured how by minor re-arrange of funiture can extend outer loop to offset figure of 8 with fiddle yard whilst maintaing the current level of fidelity to the prototype. Also about to get some quotes on loft conversion.
I recon if you stop moving then you'll get decorated with ornaments.
Cheers, Simon
Reply to
simon
Greg Procter wrote in news:46FEB05A.253C8A76 @ihug.co.nz:
I try to work to the nearest 1/4 inch - Most of my layout is 00 :-)
Reply to
Chris Wilson
In message , john dolan writes
It is neither a double nor a single slip, but is just two points overlapped a bit. It looks a bit like a double slip with one of the straight roads missing.
In south Wales coal sidings you used to get a whole string of them on a diagonal line going across a group of parallel sidings.
Reply to
Jane Sullivan
Indeed we will, by mid December we'll have about 5 hours of daylight. However, come June we'll have 19 hours of daylight (the "Simmer Dim"); quite disconcerting to go to the bathroom at 3 am and find that it's broad daylight.
Reply to
Bruce
On 29/09/2007 22:29, john dolan said,
No, its actually very simple! It's just two turnouts overlapped "back to back". I imagine Colonel Stephens used one because it could be made up from standard P&C parts, and likewise those of us who build our own track could knock one out far quicker than a normal slip.
I would hazard a guess that it might even be possible to make one using two Peco turnouts, although I haven't done this.
Reply to
Paul Boyd
On 30/09/2007 08:48, Jane Sullivan said,
By the way, John D, that's why they're called "Barry slips" - Barry being in South Wales.
Reply to
Paul Boyd
On 29/09/2007 23:06, Manxcat said,
...and some of the newer Bachmann N-gauge stuff doesn't actually look at all bad!
Reply to
Paul Boyd
Dam! No I'm just going to have to have one of those........... and I'd just finalised the layout last night. Back to Templot!
Richard
Reply to
beamendsltd
beamendsltd said the following on 01/10/2007 10:57:
Just bear in mind it doesn't have the same functionality as a double slip :-)
Oh yeah, they're easy to do in Templot!!
Reply to
Paul Boyd
I've just incorporayed one in my latest small S scale layout and it really does help out in space saving in certain conditions.
I can just hear the 'Not another layout with a Barry slip" comments in a year or two's time :-)
Jim.
Reply to
Jim Guthrie
Yes, I noticed - but using one of theose actually makes good sense (not least as I've got make it) replacing a single slip I have had to add completely un-prototypically (duplicate routes on adacent sets of points). I even had two points superimosed last night for a solution, but ruled it out on as being unprototypical - et voila, it isn't!
As is everything in Templot when you've driven it enough, but by 'eck the learing curve can be a bit steep! I just hope "automatic" three way points don't get added to Templot before I actually get the track glued down.......
Richard
Reply to
beamendsltd
LOL! I've spent 3 years armchair modelling with XtrkCad, *and* changed scales having already started buying stock and kits for my initial choice, to try and avoid going through that. I sometimes wish I'd just chucked some track down on a few baseboards and suffered the pain that Chris describes.
My recent mantra has been "less is more". Minimal track density in a large space in N giving the impression of the railway flowing through the landscape (this started after a visit to Pendon). I saw the BRM article about Kings-X in N a few weels ago. Now I'm undecided again.
I'm beginning to think I need at least three layouts. One small shelf layout I can get built and running in a short time, one high density computer controlled where I can just watch trains whizzing hither and thither and the "less is more". Then there's the O or OO layout so I can fulfill my fantasy of highly detailed finescale etched brass models. Oh that's 4, Aaaaggghhhhh.
MBQ
Reply to
manatbandq
Hi John,
Here's an *outside* Barry slip, built by Simon Dunkley in S scale:
An outside Barry slip has the *V-crossings* of each turnout within the lead length of the other -- like this:
An inside Barry slip has the *switches* of each turnout within the lead length of the other.
More info:
Prototype sightings of an *outside* Barry slip wanted!
regards,
Martin Wynne

Site Timeline