YS 63: P.O.S.???

I have been running a YS 63 engine for a few weeks. So far I have put almost a gallon of 20/20 fuel through it. Recently, I have been getting an unusually high idle RPM, and whenever I try to crank it up to full throttle, the engine sputters for a few seconds then dies. Before this started occurring I noticed that when I held the RC controller at idle, occasionally the engine would spontaneously jump up in RPM and run wildly up and down for a while, then return back to idle. I have replaced the check valve, I have checked the tank and fuel lines (an also cleaned the fuel filter and replaced the fuel line) and there seems to be no problem there. I showed the engine to a veteran pilot at the flying field and he tells me that YS engines are the most difficult engines to run and that is why he has never owned one. I asked him if he knew what the problem was and he ran a few tests for obvious things but he could not find a problem. He told me he thinks something inside the engine (he mentioned something about some air component) is broken and I should send it to YS. Then he told me that if I could live without that extra 10-15% in power, I should go with an OS or a Saito. I have heard numerous complaints about the 63 and I wonder if it is a problem with just this model engine or all YS engines in general.

Questions:

1) Would this be considered a warranty repair if I send it to YS? 2) Has anyone seen this behavior and know what it means? 3) Is the 63 less reliable than other YS engines?

Thanks in advance,

Joel (waiting for legions of YS fanatics to attack)

Reply to
Joel

Yes they are tempermental. Very tempermental. I have a YS 63 and I won't be buying another. When it worked right, it was a dream, very powerful, sounded great, and good transistion. It was a real stump puller. WHEN IT WORKED RIGHT. However, whenever I put it up for more than a week, it would never run right, and yes I ran the engine completely dry. I would always have to take the regulator assembly apart and blow it out, put it back together, and then usually it was okay. I have recently started having the very problem you are experiencing, and no amount of fiddling with anything helps. I bought a Saito 72, which may not be quite as powerful, but I hear it's very user friendly, something the YS is NOT.

occasionally

Reply to
Frank Costa

Another hassle is trying to juggle three different adjustments and have them all agree with eachother. That can be a royal PITA as well.

Reply to
Frank Costa

Have run about 6 gallons through my .63 - the engine has been absolutely flawless. I filter the fuel from jug to field box can, from can to engine , from fuel tank to engine. Sounds like you were pretty careful in your filtering, so this may not be the problem. I'd let Ys take a stab at it - this has been a tremendous engine for me on a funtana - dead reliable and powerful -it's worth a try.

Dorin Luck

Reply to
Dorin Luck

Wonderful. They sell me a 63 size engine for nearly $250 and it fails before getting through a single gallon of fuel. I bet this is the same problem that Frank (see above) had with his 63.

Thanks, Courseyauto- I think I will send it in.

Reply to
Joel

Absolutely! How much do you want for it and where are you located?

MrBonk

MrBonk

Yeah, they fixed the blow-by problem for me with a 91FZ with the piston modification but it cost me a hundred bucks. This engine was out of warranty although it was a PITA since new and I tried every suggestion in the universe to fix it before giving up. I should have sent it back from the start. Two other 91s I have work fine. The blow-by really screws up the regulator.

John Hawkins - From Canada's Atlantic Coast

John Hawkins

YS engines are PITAs.

I'll stick to my "regular" four-strokes. I'm too lazy these days to go through all of the aggravation that a YS demands. Good for those who aren't.

Ed Cregger

Reply to
Ed Cregger

YS engines are PITAs.

I'll stick to my "regular" four-strokes. I'm too lazy these days to go through all of the aggravation that a YS demands. Good for those who aren't.

Ed Cregger

They wouldn't be if they built them without defects. I have had YS motors that ran perfectly for a long time, The 63 is the first one i have had problems with,

Reply to
Courseyauto

I have known of many other YS engines with problems since the seventies. If you absolutely must have that level of performance, then there really isn't another choice. Me, I just fly for fun. I expect my engines to run when I go to the field.

Ed Cregger

Reply to
Ed Cregger

What aggravation? I pulled mine out of the box, mounted it on a Ballistick, ran a couple of tanks rich and went flying. The regulator needed 1/2 turn and the low speed adjusted just once. Since then, a couple clicks either way of the main and fly. I firmly believe that people having problems with them are not following directons. I have "cured" several of the POS YS engines by setting them according to the directions. People used to say the same thing about Fox engines because they refused to follow the carb setup directions. People STILL say the same thing about Supertigre engines because they think that OS methods should work with every engine.

Reply to
Paul McIntosh

I raced mine for years and NEVER missed a heat because the engine wouldn't run right. No one racing Saitos or OS could ever say that! Average Saito race starting procedure: prime, attach glow, flip, BANG, loose prop, remove spinner, tighten prop, reinstall spinner, glow, flip, bang, oh shit, missed heat. Watched it many times.

Reply to
Paul McIntosh

Paul--Ok, so you had a good experience with YS engines. I did not. I read and re-read the instructions, and I tweaked all 3 settings to no avail. Now that it appears to be a manufacturing defect with the regulator, I rest my case. I think Frank had the exact same problem. To me, $250 is a awful lot to pay for an engine that can't even get through a single gallon of fuel before failing.

You said previously, "These engines won't just wildly run up and down unless the throttle is opening."

I believe that this statement is incorrect because I saw it with my own eyes. I don't know how or why but it happened.

Joel

Reply to
Joel

I contacted YS but they have yet to get back to me.

Reply to
Joel

do you check your email regularly?

Reply to
Joel

Everything conceivable. I spent hours searching the internet for different solutions, and tried them all, including the YSperformance site, RCU, usenet, you name it. Hours fiddling to no avail, replaced diapragm, replaced check valve, took everything apart and cleaned and replaced, checked and rechecked fuel line, made sure the pressure system was working properly, tried a million different ways of adjusting the needle. I was so fed up one day I picked it up and came VERY close to throwing it against a wall. It's out of warranty, because it spent some time NIB. I will not spend $100 to hopefully sure the problem. At this point I'm considering selling it at a loss.

Reply to
Frank Costa

That sucks. I felt exactly the same way. I tried emailing YS and they did not reply. I also tried calling both their numbers and they had busy signals (?). But their website lists their address to send damaged goods so I will just send it there and hope it is in good hands.

Reply to
Joel

Oops....sorry, I don't check the 'SPAM-trap' email addy very often :-) I've replied now!

MrBonk

MrBonk

Paul, It's funny you should mention the Super Tigre engine and the 'this engine just won't run' thing. I've got a GS.45ABC and it's gotta be one of the strongest 'sport' .45 class engines I've ever seen. I *did* have trouble just getting the thing to start, until I read the instructions properly.....'typical male' my wife would say ;-) It also took quite a bit of running to actually run-in, which I'm assuming is due to the use of 'real' hardchrome on the liner, as opposed to whatever most of the other manufacturers are using now. Now that I've got it sorted though, it's a fantastic engine. I'd buy another one tomorrow if I needed a new .45 engine!

MrBonk

MrBonk

Paul,

There is no question that a working YS engine is head and shoulders above the rest, but the reality is that when these engines give trouble the trouble is often without a systematic troubleshooting guide for the average modeler. Some people don't have problems and others have tons of problems. I am sure most of us have seen YS engines deadsticking in the air for no apparent reason and the resulting turning of a screw/needle here and there without much real reason or knowledge of what to expect.

A regular engine is tuned by the needle mainly and can be checked if too rich/lean quite simply by pinching the line or with a tach etc. Is there a similar troubleshooting guide for YS engines or should one expect that it would require expert consultation or return to dealer ? If one knew what to expect and the associated maintenance costs there would be a lot less complaints.

There are too many complaints about YS finickiness to keep denying it. I believe somebody at the Worlds last month also got deadsticked.

Reply to
John Deering