West Springfield Show ?

Hello,

I'm new to this hobby and never been to this show. I'm still building my layout and have not bought much rolling stock yet. My question is, is this a show where I might find good buys on second hand cars and such, or is this a showcase for new products. I'm looking to pick up 30-

40 average cars to get my layout started. Any idea how much that might run me. Also, in order to get anything would I need to be there on sat. or would sun. be o.k. Thanks Johnny
Reply to
jpgiard

Be sure to stop by the Atlas booth and report back on their new loco with sound! The ad sounds like an new product announcement, though some have speculated that it's a new run of an existing product.

Reply to
Brian Paul Ehni

By all means, attend this show, it has something for everyone interested in the hobby. There are may dealer tables of all descriptions, manufacturers, displays, operating layouts. Plus if you have a question about the hobby, somewhere at the show you will find your answer.

If you decide to attend, you probably will need to go both days to see everything, although you can do the show in one intense day.

If you do attend the show come and visit the Hub Division/NMRA modular layout in the Better Living Center, we will be glad to answer any questions you have

Larry Madson

Reply to
larry madson

Given the choice, I'd try to be there early Saturday. It will be more crowded, but many of the real bargains go quickly. Stop by my display, usually in the Better Living Center, and say hello. I don't have any used rolling stock like you are seeking, but I can offer a handshake and a hello. James F. Hodgdon Jr. Hodgdon Scale Models

Hdgdn

I have not been to a show in years, but the rule I used to use was.

Go on the first day as close to opening as possible, that way you get the best selection of used equipment. Then return near the end of the last day, this way you get to take advantage of dealers reducing leftover product so they don't have to cart it back.

Bargains used to be found at the begining and end. The middle was for looking and layout enjoyment.

Reply to
wannandcan

West Springfield????

Why would the Simpsons have a train show?

Reply to
wannandcan

Johnny - If you do enough looking around (especially in boxes under the dealer's tables) I'd expect you'll find what you need. However, Springfield is not generally a show with large numbers of great bargins and deals. especially with regard to newer models.

If you are looking for older 2nd hand rolling stock from inexpensive makers like Athearn, MDC, or Accurail, you might expect to pay somewhere around $5 a car for those in 1st rate condition. Thus, anticipate to spend around $150-$200 for the number of cars you quote. If you're talking 2nd hand examples of the latest 1st rate cars, double or triple those figures. Do yourself a favor and avoid cheap junk like Tyco, AHM, old Bachmann, etc.

As a final word of advice, if you see something you like, buy it right then and there. This show is so huge that it is often very tough to come back and find the same table (in the right building!) you were looking at earlier...and you're likely not to be the only intetrested party in a particular item.

CNJ999

Reply to
JBortle

Springfield *can* be a place to find deals, but you do have to work for it. Look under the tables, usually, for the used stuff. Also, check out "The Caboose" (a large brass dealer) in the Better Living Center, who has a half dozen tables of used plastic. BTW, you want cars with body mounted couplers, not truck mounted couplers. You may end up paying a $1 or $2 more for them, but they are worth it. After all, what good is a car if it won't stay on the track? These cars, usually from Athearn, Roundhouse, Accurail, etc, can be had, used, for about $4. Sometimes less, sometimes more, just don't pay more than $7 (that's what they cost new).

Paul A. Cutler III

************* Weather Or No Go New Haven *************
Reply to
Pac Man

I think you can remove the word "old" from the above statement and it would still be a truism.

Reply to
wannandcan

The way I used to do it was to make a list of what I wanted, mark right on the list what you can get it for anytime, IE: from your LHS, your favotire Mail Order House, or now your favorite Internet Shop.

Then while you are walking around, refer to the list....

If you find a used car on your wish list, take out the list... try and talk the dealer down so you pay 50% of what a new one costs. Sometimes it works, sometimes not. Either way, you might get a bargain.

Remember, the choice to buy or not is always yours, don't be afraid to say "Sorry" and walk away, you can come back later. At the end of the show, a dealer may be willing to accept your over, who knows.

Reply to
wannandcan

"> Hello, "> "> I'm new to this hobby and never been to this show. I'm still building my "> layout and have not bought much rolling stock yet. My question is, is this "> a show where I might "> find good buys on second hand cars and such, or is this "> a showcase for new products. I'm looking to pick up 30- "> 40 average cars to get my layout started. Any idea how much that might run "> me. Also, in order to get anything would I need to be there on sat. or would "> sun. be o.k.

There will be all kinds of stuff. From used, to (new) excess stock (sold at show discounts), to nifty new gadgets, to layouts (of all sizes). While the *best* selection will be bright and early on Saturday, one can get stuff on Sunday as well, especially if one is not looking for that *special* car. You just want a good assortment of 'random' rolling stock, it will be there on Sunday.

"> Thanks "> Johnny "> "> ">

\/ Robert Heller ||InterNet: snipped-for-privacy@cs.umass.edu

|| snipped-for-privacy@deepsoft.com
/\FidoNet: 1:321/153

Reply to
Robert Heller

Reply to
jpgiard

Yes, the show is that large. I'm hard pressed to get through it all in the one day I go. Some good advice preceding.

If you've never been there before, you'll won't have a good idea about the range of dealers and offerings. I suggest that you try to make a quick pass in each building before starting to buy. If you focus only on your scale and ignore the other stuff, it will help. You may want to make notes to find your way back.

Dave.

Reply to
Dave Mitton

Yes, the show is that large. Over 5 acres of display space, with over

30 operating layouts. I'm there for 3 days and I don't see it all. :-)

Paul A. Cutler III

************* Weather Or No Go New Haven *************
Reply to
Pac Man