What the ?

My son had an early Christmas present at the weekend, one of those 'Lineside Look @ Model Railways' with narration by Bob Symes.

As we sat watching it I notice a model which I can only describe as a 'single' unit of a DMU with two sets of wheels connected with coupling roads like a steam loco'.

Any ideas what it was a model of ?

Chris

Reply to
Dragon Heart

Sounds like a steam rail motor. These were popular in the early 20th century but the popularity was their downfall because the engine units weren't very powerful.

So they took out the engine unit and converted them into push-pull trailers worked by regular small tank engines, which was far more flexible.

What railway company was it?

A GWR rail motor and trailer (cab car to the Americans):

Christopher A. Lee

Without a bit more information such as livery or gauge its a question with a bit of a wide scope.

Walker Bros of Wigan were early builders of Railcars and some of their designs used coupled axles on a bogie.

A couple linger on in Ireland

well down the page, and on the I.O.M
However is it possible that is model was not of a DMU but a steam Railmotor such as the GWR Society are recreating.

G.harman

Reply to
damduck-egg