Red Jinty: What price now?

Bachmann have just announced a second batch of 500 Jintys in preservation livery, albeit with a different running number (16440) to the first batch (47357). I'm thinking that will seriously detract from the value of the first batch, some of which are yet to be sold.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

Bachmann are in businees to make a profit from selling locos, not to boost collectors' nett worth. If all those interested in 47357 have bought and Bachmann are left with a stock then the 'value' is going to remain below the new price until Bachmenn have remaindered their stock. Meanwhile Bachmann presumably see a demand for the alternative number which the sensibly propose to satisfy.

Keith

Reply to
Keith

"kim" wrote

Well as mine cost me precisely ..................... err nothing, I don't think I'll be losing any sleep.

Does seem a bit odd that they'd produce another similar lot if they've not been able to sell the full production run of the first batch. Mind you, we've still got stock of the first production run of keyhole Jinties, which suggests they've not been a roaring success.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

The remainder of the first batch are due to be sold to club members but as their only attraction is being red and Cheltenham Model Centre offering a further 500 of their own, I can't see the point.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

47357 was never sold to members of the public. 150 were given away as promotional items and the remaining 350 were reserved for club members. Up until now it has been worth an astronomical amount.

Cheltenham Model Centre commisioned the second batch, presumably to cash in on demand for the promotional item.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

Really? So who is paying the astronomical prices when Bachmann have unsold stock?

Keith

Reply to
Keith

Anyone who was desperate to own a red Jinty, who does not qualify for the Club offer and was unaware that a second batch of models was to be produced for Cheltenham Model Centre (albeit with Midland rather than BR markings). Even club members had to enter a lottery for the right to purchase one of the original batch.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

And in this situation why does Bachmann have stock left? Not enough entrants to the lottery perhaps. I don't yet see any evidence of any astronomical value.

There doesn't seem to be anyone trying to sell them on ebay.

Keith

Reply to
Keith

"Keith" wrote

I've seen a couple go on fleabay at around GBP75.00 which I wouldn't consider astronomical for a production run of just 500.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

They have not been offered for sale yet.

Previous limited editions have sold for between £150 and £200.

Only 150 have been given away so far, mainly to dealers. They wouldn't have any reason to sell them on eBay.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

Thanks for that John. The price is even less impressive seeing as how only

150 are in circulation just now. I am thinking somebody got wind of the forthcoming offers and decided to dump their particular example while they still could.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

Soon after the toyfair, when Bachmann gave them out to the dealers, they were plentiful on ebay - many with Buy-it-now's of £100. The sensible purchaser (such as myself!) waited, sure that Bachmann would eventually produce this as a regular livery, if it were really that popular.

Reply to
John Ruddy

Probably because they haven't got them yet. According to the Bachmann collectors' club newsletter the "lottery" isn't until next week, with them being sent out to the winners on receipt of the funds shortly afterwards.

I consider this to be all of a non-event. The world must be saturated with Jinties made by Tri-ang and Hornby over the past 50 years or so. Now if it were something special, like a 2-8-0T or 2-8-2T .....

Reply to
Jane Sullivan

I'm also interested to know on what prototype it is based. According to my Midland books, the last time a Midland 0-6-0 carried red livery was in the early Deeley period before WW1, so couldn't have carried the LMS and BR numbers noted earlier in the thread. Maybe I missed all the discussion earlier when it first came out :-)

Jim.

Reply to
Jim Guthrie

"Jane Sullivan" wrote

I wouldn't call this issue of a decent model of the Jinty (at long last) as a non-event even if it doesn't seem to have sold terribly well in my establishment. I've actually got three of the things (if you include the red one) but I'd have never entertained any of the previous Triang/Hornby offerings because of the poor mechanisms and indifferent scale authenticity.

I think the new model is rather nice, but benefits from a little tweaking of the pickup wipers. Scale-wise it's an exquisit model, capturing the appearance of the 3F 0-6-0T to perfection.

The non-event in my opinion is the obsession with 'limited editions', whether truly produced in 'very limited' quantities or just a label attached to a larger than standard production run with the simple intention of increasing sales. When the term 'limited edition' gets attached to stuff like chocolate bars then one has to realise that the whole shooting match has been played out.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

I agree and sometimes wonder about Limited Editions. Look how long Hornby and Bachmann took to offload the "Sir Ralph Wedgewood" and "Commonwealth of Australia" A4 Limited Editions. There were possibly more of them produced than non Limited Edition 4's.

John Turner wrote:

Reply to
Hstvee8

The BR livery is ficticious and the MR livery was only ever carried on a preservation loco.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

I estimate the Jinties will go for about a tenner more than the asking price, likewise the Ivatt mogul. Personally I couldn't be bothered. On the other hand I think the Porterbrook purple 57 will sell for £100 which is quite a bit more than the asking price.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

In message , John Turner writes

I agree. I saw a "limited edition" cleaning cloth on sale in my local supermarket this morning. Needless to say I didn't buy any.

Reply to
Jane Sullivan

"kim" wrote

I thought the BR red version replicated a preserved loco.

John.

Reply to
John Turner