Wiring problem :-(

Any help please?

I've spent the day doing a spot of wiring. Nothing to difficult, I have a spur leading to a staging area, access to the spur is via a single turnout and a double slip. So far so good?

OK to make everything as controllable as possible I thought I'd put in a few isolated sections on either side of the crossing and of course the spur itself.

Again it's shouldn't have been to difficult but I ended up with a wiring diagram like this ...

(sorry no tiny url thingie)

Any suggestions anyone?

Reply to
Chris Wilson

Clockwork ?

Stud Contact ?

Brio push-along ?

I'm sure Google will bring up the wiring for slips...

- Nigel

Reply to
Nigel Cliffe

"Nigel Cliffe" wrote in news:erq7c9$aln$1$8300dec7 @news.demon.co.uk:

Actually old bean it's a bit of a joke but you'd have to take a peek at the pic though to get it. Not that it's much of a joke but all this chat about climate warming thingimigigs got me feeling quite bored.

Reply to
Chris Wilson

Know what you mean, I keep getting replies on the global warming but no info on question about distorted running plates.

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

Basket weaving?

-- Wolf

"Don't believe everything you think." (Maxine)

Reply to
Wolf

I really cannot see the joke. Your snap shows a minute section of the underside of my system which has been withdrawn for faultfinding.

Regards

Reply to
Peter Abraham

I faced up to having to use one in a situation where two reversing sections terminated and then crossed to connect with sections quite possibly of reversed polarity. I very quickly realised that either I used lever control (mechanical or passing contact) in order to see what the control command was (or had been) or go and look and then remember the combination - that requires memory which may not be as sharp as required. To overcome this I settled on a single passing contact button for each of the four routes and used diodes to set the access code. This has worked very well even though I keep a lot of power stored in 3 very large capacitors to ensure the operation of multi point motors.

I have a mix of control systems and whereas the peco levers work well and are indicative I cannot rely on the points being in the same position after a shut down. The push button panel (passing contact) causes me to be disciplined into setting my route like playing the keyboard or typing. The sound of the operation verifies the operation.

The inside of my power selection mimic makes Chris's photo look quite harmless -- I am a little ashamed as I am a retired contol engineer and know exactly what it should look like!

Regards

Reply to
Peter Abraham

Instead of throwing each individual solenoid to set a route, try allocating each push button to a specific route control using diode matrixes and change-over switches on point motors for sequence and polarity. That way, if you want your train to run from A to B but can't remember if the route has been set you just press the one button (again)

Regards, Greg.P.

Reply to
Greg Procter

I did look. And I've looked again. Still don't see a joke.

Ah, I stopped reading that thread long ago.

I tend to do that to threads of low interest to me. I can read about environmental issues elsewhere.

- Nigel

Reply to
Nigel Cliffe

I do so agree but find that 4 motors is about the max that I can switch simultaneously. Many of my points are doubles (where logic dictates that the point will always lead to an open route) and if so selected then following leading points are set to open. This rather dictates the route selection method ,especially when passing through at least one reversing loop and 5 or 6 blocks. All of the blocks can operate on at least 2 controllers so , being a solo operator I have to pay attention! It is bad enough having a GW version of the S&D on which Scots and Patriots run normally but no SR locos! I reckon that it is a combo of S&D and the GW Salisbury line with the Bristol Suburban thrown in.

Reply to
Peter Abraham

"Nigel Cliffe" wrote in news:errlrb$2rk$1$8302bc10 @news.demon.co.uk:

I didn't say it was a good one. Just a big tangled heap of wire with no sense of order anywhere - a right mess to sort out.

Reply to
Chris Wilson

I'm afraid your description is beginning to get beyond verbal description! =8^)

I tend to use the Peco electrical switches to sequence the throwing of points. (two of the nasty switches is one limit and I think four of the expensive ones) I make the sequence 'from the incoming line to the end of the fan' and use CDUs to throw the motor. The squencing switches link the motor common to common ground. Track power feed also runs from the single M/L through the fan. Train automatically links to intended controller. It does tend to create stacks of Peco electrical switches but my control panel has only 'route buttons' plus double heading section on/off switches. Strangely I've never had any problems with the cheap Peco switches except when I've tried using them as 'end-off' switches for point motor solenoids. My CDUs are simple three component diode/resistor/capacitor units - cheap - one per sequence step.

Amongst my route buttons I always include one that clears all routes so all tracks are off.

Regards, Greg.P.

Reply to
Greg Procter

CUT THE BLUE WIRE FIRST!!!!!

Reply to
jasper_goat

But the dilithium crystals won't last long at that degree of strain

Reply to
Bruce Fletcher

Suggest you dont give up your day job (unless youre an electrician)

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

"simon" wrote in news:m6adnRho3PrQvX snipped-for-privacy@bt.com:

..

It was all a little tongue in cheek in what is now clearly a failed attempt at humour.

Look at the pics one after the other and you can see that it all turned out ok in the end. :-)

Reply to
Chris Wilson

Now that's what I call a decent-sized tin of Fluxite.

Reply to
John Nuttall

John Bishop wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@ddrummond.demon.co.uk:

tch tch ... watch your language.

Anyone would think that 25 leads to feed a simple crossover and spur was hard work.

Reply to
Chris Wilson

"John Nuttall" wrote in news:45e2b305$0$15781 $ snipped-for-privacy@news.optusnet.com.au:

Would you believe I have a larger one ... about 4" diameter and about 5" deep, was my dad's and it's still about 1/4 full ... now if only I could find it. :-(

Reply to
Chris Wilson

And how does he keep it in pristine condition? :-) My tins of paste flux rapidly assume a grubby appearance in use :-)

Jim.

Reply to
Jim Guthrie