.023 or .030

I have a Lincoln SP175+, and weld mostly .065" tubing. I currently am using .030 wire. Should I go to the .023? I believe it would be just as strong, but would have a little less weld metal to show. On thicker stuff I could still use the .030. I want it to look a little better with less of a hump from the melted wire. What do you use?

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

0.024" is better for 16 ga sheet and tube, but it won't go as far up as 0.030".

in a 175 I would stick with 0.030" wire.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

Reply to
Roy J

That is what I was wondering. I got a small roll of .023 with the machine, but just didn't really try it. I am doing a little finer work now, and don't want quite all the metal that the .030 deposits. I got the hang of making a series of spots with the .030, and it looks a lot like a row of TIG puddles on aluminum. I was wondering if I could do the same with the .023, or if it would take the heat.

Man, I used to use nothing but .035 for nine years when I had my shop. Now that would seem like a very large wire.

Guess I just have to break down and run a roll of the .023 and compare.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

We are doing small vehicle race frames, can't afford a TIG welder. Main frame is 1"x .065", roll structure is .083" Spent some time getting our coping technique down cleanly. (+/- 1 degree on the cope angle with the other tube as well as +/- 1 degree on the plane change for the other end, +.000" -.040" on length. Spent some time dialing in the weld parameters to run with .023" wire, did all the major welding in one session to get a rhythm going.

Interesting comment: we havea Miller and a Century 180 amp welders. Miller is the welder of choice, Century collects dust. But the Century has a better arc at the low amperage settings so we leave the .030" wire in the Miller and the .023 in the Century. But at least we were methodical in dialing in the weld settings.

Cheers.

SteveB wrote:

Reply to
Roy J