4x4 front steering knuckle, cast-forged/ is it weldable?

I have a broken steering knuckle that I believe is cast/ forged. It is a clean break and looks finely crystalline. Can this be professionally welded or at least can I tack it to drive it in/out the shop door. I have a mig and small arc in the shop. Should I preheat when I do it or shall I just get a new one when the time comes. It does have substantial shock. 88 Jeep wrangler

Reply to
Bruce

If it were my Jeep, I'd get a used one from a junk yard. This is one area where you don't want to fool around trying to patch up broken parts.

Gary

Reply to
Gary Coffman

I have welded them before. It is forged heat treated steel.

I bevel ground both sides, and TIG welded it with multiple small passes using Hastelloy W filler rod.

It was for a friends Dodge van.

After 5 years the Van died but that knuckle never broke.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

Bruce wrote in news:5Yhkb.502$ snipped-for-privacy@nwrdny01.gnilink.net:

It welds up nice with 7018. It would depend on your welding skills as to wither you should fix it via welding or replace it. Since your asking, I do not think you should repair it yourself. A pro welder would have no problem in repairing it, but they would shy away from it, because of the liability issues they could open themselves up to. You would want to chamfer/bevel all the way around the break with a torch, air-arc, or grind etc., to prepare for a full pen weld all around the broken joint. Put it this way, if it was my Jeep, I would have no problem welding something of this nature for myself, and be able to sleep at night without a worry in the world about it in regards, would it break, would it last. But I would not do it for anyone else in these times. It just leaves a hole for someone to screw you later if they did something unintelligent, got into a bad situation, and then there's that weld some insurance investigator, or lawyer could point to, even though it broke around the same area, do to someone going through something a tank would be destroyed doing the same.(exaggerated to make point) Word to the wise is sufficiant in this case. A lack in preforming the repairs on such an item PROPERLY can have very bad results, harm to self and others. Technically it can be done. I have in the past had all sorts of neighbors, friends, family, wanting me to build custom hitches for their vehicles, I say it in one word these days, "NO". I would do it for myself, and have, But Don't care to carry that type of liability for others. A shop that carries liability issurance for doing such types of work MAY repair it. Check with your local "job" shop, they may. Probably best to find yourself a new assembly at an auto junkyard. In "these times", though the job could be done right, welders stay clear of "these" type of repairs.

Kruppt

Reply to
Kruppt

Ernie Leimkuhler wrote in news:181020031606448372% snipped-for-privacy@stagesmith.com:

Just remember when doing these types of repairs for friends and family, it has nothing to do with their loyalty or integrity towards you,or in general, it has everything to do with lawyers and insurance investigators. Every lawyer is looking for that "deep pocket" and the insurance investigators are looking to put the blame on another option available. Never been caught in a bind of this nature yet, but I have Known others that have. I know your a "helpful" kind of person, but you have to walk this line carefully, as it can bite ya.

Kruppt

Reply to
Kruppt

In the meantime will look for a used part. Kinda slim pickins around this part of the state. Thanks, Bruce

Reply to
Bruce

Many of us would appreciate it if you would quit posting in HTML.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Edwards