Acetone level

From another thread, there seems to be a level at which one should stop drawing acetylene from the tank, for danger of acetone pickup. Is that true? I have a tank of acet that is very low, but I keep on using it, mainly because I can't remember to haul it 30 miles to get another. It is LOW. Is there a cutoff point, and how do you know you've reached it?

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

I think that was my post. I didn't mean to imply that acetone pickup would happen with a low tank. AFAIK, it only happens when the rate of withdrawal is too high.

I'm no expert, Bob

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

I didn't want to hijack that other thread. Mainly just wanted to know if sucking an acetylene tank dry was an acceptable thing. Sorry if I was not clear.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

As I recall, the offgas rate slows down so much that you can't maintain the desired 4 or 5 psi at any sort of reasonable flow rate. So no chance of getting the acetone, just can't get any acetylene either.

Reply to
RoyJ

That is what I remember, but the O/A got replaced with TIG and plasma cutting about 20 years ago. It was shortly after an acetylene tank at work blew the overpressure plug and had a raging fire in the shop with no provocation.

BobH

Reply to
BobH

Thanks. I need to go get a tank of gas, but want to run this one out, I'm so cheap. It will probably go out in the middle of a job. I have a hitch to do as soon as this darn wind quits. I don't do a lot of cutting, so don't have a backup tank. I would if I could find a real deal on one, but my work does not justify the cost. O2 and CO2 are different.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Perhaps this will be of help:

It's not for welding steel-to-steel but for everything else it works.

Reply to
Phil Kangas

You ever come through Yuma? I have 6 or 7 spare Acetylene tanks left over from when my dad closed his hardware store. All used owners. Probably out of hydro, but none of the gas dealers have ever given me a hard time about a swap for a full bottle. Take your pick $100 each. After I run them dry I will also be selling my small O/A set since its so much cheaper to fill my big set.

Reply to
Bob La Londe