More efficient electric motor invention

Or how to waste a huge amount of time and effort trying to invent something when you don't understand the physical principles involved.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

invent

involved.

The entire web site is loopy... had you tried to vote :) that was a hoot.

Phil Scott

Reply to
Phil Scott

Can't say I've been sufficiently motivated. I just had the misfortune to sit through that segment on TV. It was quite embarrassing actually. The guy was claiming he could double the efficiency of electric motors. The fact that they're already more than 50% efficient anyway didn't phase him at all.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

message

principles

:)

misfortune to

actually. The

motors. The

didn't phase

Most are over 90% efficient. I got a laugh out of the picture of these two guys, the bald one was obvously the 'brains'... the other guy was moral support.

In describing other motors they listed a 'reluctance motor'... his notion apparently is that AC current only uses half of the sine wave, so by building his own rectifier and by using 'flat wire'...they could get DC and use ALL of the sine wave..... there has been no testing yet however....they will have that 'proffessionally' done.

when you click on the vote thingie... you never get a chance to vote... they just tell you thanks for voting for this moron, and that you will be contacted by email.

it doesnt get much farther south than this.... although one time I had a guy tell me that he had figured out how to get a gas burner to operate with NO GAS.... and had a working set up.... he drove me to his place and they had built a large rotating drum....about 8' tall and 4' in diameter... next to a shed with a bunsen burner on the work bench.

a pipe ran between the large drum and the shed connected to the bunsen burner... he showed me in great detail how NO gas line or other piping was connected to the drum...so ....NO natural gas.

Then I noticed an empty sack of calcium carbide on the ground.... thats when he puffed up and said all you had to do was put the stuff in the drum and add water.... presto...you could go in and lite yer burner.... which I passed.... seeing as how I didnt think the shed was built to stop shrapnel.

Phil Scott

Reply to
Phil Scott

in article 41525df7$0$20126$ snipped-for-privacy@news.optusnet.com.au, Sylvia Else at snipped-for-privacy@not.at.this.address wrote on 9/22/04 10:24 PM:

That is why it is such a great invention!

Bill

Reply to
Repeating Rifle

He was probably a friend of a friend of one of mine. This guy had this revolutionary approach to welding gasses, which was to mix the oxygen with the inflamable gas in ONE tank. This allowed for a very high temperature at the nozzle, apparently.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

not defending this guy but phil go back and read again many conclusions have been jumped this idea is not new

Reply to
PCK

gas

do

presto...you

seeing

guy had this

the oxygen

high

He is lucky to be alive as you know... it wouldnt increase the flame temperature however, as in either case you are simply oxidizing acytlene at atmospheric pressures...if you ever began to oxidize it fully in the torch tip, at slightly higher pressures and temperatures the tip would melt within seconds... if you ever oxidize it at the regulator you get to pick brass shrapnel out of your ass. If it ever oxidizes in the tank which it will spontaneiously over a thousand psig depending on the gas mix... the death scene clean up crew gets to try and swabb tiny bits of body fragments off of the walls.

Phil Scott

Reply to
Phil Scott

motor'...

the

'flat

wave.....

that

those two idiots were wrong across a very broad spectrum...demonstrated by gross missuse of comon terms.. and yes I summarized just one of thier screw ups... parsing the entire disaster would have been too painful.

Im sure thier 'idea' is not new... sort of like the morons that have carburettors that will deliver 200 miles per gallon of fuel on a 2 ton truck... no faint awareness of basic physics..the energy derived from oxidation reactions and the amount of energy it takes to move the vehicle.... so they try to make 2 and 2 add up to 22... and of course its plain to any idiot class person that 2 and 2 IS 22.

A lack of the crudest notion of basic arithmetic and science is at the bottom of such disasters.

Phil Scott

Reply to
Phil Scott

There's a *reason* why acetylene cylinders are filled with toulene and diamatceous earth. To keep the gas from spontaneously exploding while still in the cylinder. Saw the results of a guy carrying an oxy-acetylene rig in his truck to a work site and using it while still in the back of his truck (laying down on it's side!!!). BOOM!!!

daestrom

Reply to
daestrom

message

message

connected

NO

....NO

shrapnel.

mix

very

increase

you

slightly

within

in

gets

walls.

toulene and

exploding while still

oxy-acetylene rig in

back of his truck

I bought a mini oxy act rig at a victor welding supply last year (one of those 250 dollar outfits with the small acty tank)...and asked for a rose bud tip for it. (many clustered orifices for real fast heating)

that tip drew actylene faster from the tank that it could handle without putting acetone through the regulator and handle etc. ... Something else to watch for. Many people in the business these days dont even think about such things

taking the handle apart later the seals were all burnt out.

Phil Scott

Reply to
Phil Scott

Ah, acetone. You're right, I said touluene earlier.

Yeah, most folks don't understand that. Acetylene regulators are marked in RED above ~15 psi because the gas will become dangerous. But they reason that the pressure in the tank is higher than that so what the f___. But the tank has that other stuff in there to keep the acetylene from going boom. This is one case where if you let out the 'magic' (acetone), then it *will* go up in smoke ;-)

If acetylene cylinder is laid down for any reason, it's important to stand it upright and let it stand for several hours before using.

daestrom

Reply to
daestrom

message

news:ul%4d.242011$ snipped-for-privacy@twister.nyroc.rr.com...

how

the

had

passed....

This

are

get

oxidizes

psig

crew

with

last

clustered

out.

regulators are marked in

But they reason

the f___. But the

from going boom.

then it *will*

Very interesting... I hadnt understood those factors at all. I still cant fathom that the acytylene would blow though.. in any case of mission acetone, since there is no oxygen present... unless you run the oxy regulator at 20 psig... and the acytlene regulator set say at 7 lbs leaks backwards allowing oxygen onto the acty tank...

Do you know the details and why etc on this range of issues? I only have these loose conclusions.

important to stand

Several hours!!!!! damn. I must have had a few close calls then. Ive often carried acyt tanks flat, stood them up and used them!. and I am not disputing your remarks either... can you elaborate on the details of that situation... Ive never seen any of that addressed in mag articles or school myself... but do know that its a serious issue.

Phil Scott

Reply to
Phil Scott

Google is your friend.... ;-)

"Unless dissolved in a solvent, acetylene will dissociate at pressures above

15 psig and form lamp black and hydrogen. Heat is generated with dissociation, which in turn, produces a danger of explosion."

I may be a bit paranoid about the "several hours", but I haven't had any blow up in my face :-) The key is to let the acetone in the neck and valve find its way back down into the 'porous material'. A small bubble of gas right at the valve on top of the cylinder will dissociate and not generate enough heat to be a problem. But if you stand it up and open the valve right away, you can 'spit' out some acetone. Repeatedly, and you develop a gas bubble/space in the cylinder, too much acetone leak out and bad news.

And of course, if used while laying down, then a fair amount of acetone comes out right away, leaving a sizable bubble of acetylene to form inside the cylinder, under more than 15 psig of pressure.

daestrom

Reply to
daestrom

message

(acetone),

pressures above

with

explosion."

haven't had any

neck and valve

bubble of gas

and not generate

open the valve

and you develop a

and bad news.

of acetone

to form inside

Very interesting... and the resulting pure hydrogen would be a lot more reactive than actylene and dangerous in the torch and hoses since hydrogen would tend to infuse with the oxygen clear back to its bottle in various scenario's such as a clogged torch tip, and both gas valves open.... ( the partial pressure principle of dissimilar gas diffusion and at much higher pressures than the acetone contained acytelene.)

or something like that

Phil Scott

Reply to
Phil Scott