electric motor

I am building my first electric powered model, and have a question about the motor. It is an AXI motor and the drawing shows a lock collar on the rear
shaft [they furnish the lock collar], so it must be important. I really see no reason for it unless it holds the shaft in the motor when the prop on the other end is pulling, and this seems a rather stupid way to do this. What is the purpose of this lock collar?
--
Marvin & Sue

I am not sure what you are talking about, but I think you are looking at the kit for mounting to a normally positioned firewall. The idea is as follows: -> Mount the motor to the firewall using the normal mounting holes on the bell. This leaves the normal propellor shaft pointing to the rear (basically, into the tank compartment.) You may cut off this shaft, but Be Careful NOT TO GET ANY SHAVINGS in the motor where the magnets will jam them into the stationary part in the center. -> The piece you have should mount to what used to be the rear of the motor, and the prop mounts to it. When the outside of the motor spins, it turns the prop.
There is no real difference in the motor's operation. In the normal case, the shaft (which is attached to the outside of the motor at the rear) spins the prop, and the motor is mounted to a front mount through which the shaft passes.
Hope this helps, -- Mike Norton

the
see
the
is
Mike wrote:

Your reply indicates you did understand what I was talking about! I purchased a radial mounting kit with this motor, and the mount and prop adapter cannot be installed on the wrong end of the motor. The lock collar [according to the drawing] goes on the shaft that extends through the radial mount. The lock collar is not on the prop end of the motor. It appears to serve no useful purpose [neither does that piece of shaft]. I'll call Hobby Lobby Monday and ask them what purpose the collar serves.
Thanks,
Marvin & Sue
My understanding is that the locking collar is put on the shaft to stop the motor pulling apart when it's mounted the way you intend. If you're AXI is like mine, there's a tiny circlip that holds the motor together, I guess they thought it wouldn't be man enough for the job on it's own...
-- Philip Rawson
www.flymodels.co.uk

radial
Hobby
Philip wrote:

Your AXI is exactly like mine, and I do not see why the shaft clip would not do the job. Those clips are used to hold large motors together with no problem. Philip, do you use the lock collar? Have you used the motor without the lock collar?
--
Marvin & Sue

When the motor is used with the clip at the front... ie, without the prop adapter you've bought, there's no load on the clip... when you turn the motor round and take the drive off the back the clip is taking the full force from the prop... even with my tiny AXI, that's 2lbs of thrust... with a bigger motor that figure could be up to 10 - 15lbs... I wouldn't trust the tiny circlip with that...
I have used the motor both ways round... when running it backwards I used the locking collar... but then again I did lose the circlip when I took the motor to bits! -- Philip Rawson
www.flymodels.co.uk

not
without
Which company makes good planetary gearbox? ZhaoWei, your trustworthy suppl ier! Founded in April 1997, Shenzhen ZhaoWei Machinery & Electronics Company, is a national high-tech enterprise which engages in research and development, production of gear transmission mechanism, providing all-round services fo r customers with the transmission scheme design, parts mould design and man ufacturing, component production and integration assembly. Our company has passed ISO9001, ISO14001 and automotive industry TS16949 sy stem certification, won the title of national high-tech enterprises in 2013 . Our company attaches great importance to scientific and technological str ength and independent research and development. We have achieved 40 patents , including 17 invention patents. We take active participation in a number of scientific and technological projects around nation and Shenzhen city, a nd obtained remarkable achievements. Zhao Wei is committed to the information and communication and new energy s mart transmission mechanism, independently developed 4G base station antenn a power transfer system, smart home, intelligent robot core driver module, in the international advanced level. And established long-term strategic pa rtnership with HUAWEI, Germany BOSCH, Panasonic and other world top 500 ent erprises, business growth rapidly and development prospects brightly. ZhaoW ei is manufacturing enterprises which focus on precision molding parts inje ction and precision driving system. And started the Huizhou Machinery & Ele ctronics Company project, as a sign to the world stage, and made a great co ntribution for economic development and social progress. Products are mainly related to automotive components, industrial equipment, smart home, medical equipment and standardized gear box, providing service s and solutions for the world's intelligent driving. With 20 years professional design, development and production, provide you with one-stop service from design simulation to the production. ZhaoWei Mac hinery & Electronics, you are worthy of trust!
Company: Shenzhen ZHAOWEI Machinery & Electronics Co., Ltd URL: http://www.zwgearbox.com/ Contact: Anny Liu Tel?+86-755-27322652 Fax?+86-755-27323949 E-mail: snipped-for-privacy@zwgearbox.com Add: Blk. 18, Longwangmiao Industry Park, Fuyong Tn., Bao?an Dist., Shenzhen 518103, Guangdong, China