Air Lifting

I want to lift water about 20 feet from my truck to the storage tank on the second floor of my cabin.

I used to be a commercial diver, and have used many types of "airlifts." This is a device where a suction is created by venturi-ing air into a line in the direction you want it to flow. In real underwater conditions, the air expands as it rises, increasing the suction power. It really sucks up whatever is in front of the nozzle.

I was playing with the idea of buying a pump that I could pump water from my truck tank up to the storage tank of the cabin. (This is just for winter use. In the warm months, there is a water system.) I am running into the problem that a lot of them just don't have a lot of head pressure. And they cost a lot. And they require special plumbing connectors. A small compressor would not have to put out a lot of air to lift the water in a

1/2" line and get it to rise up. The bubbles will push the water up and rise automatically.

Anyone else ever done this? Venturiing is a good way to make suction devices for all manner of applications, and they are really safe because they just use air or water.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Potable water, correct? You will want to filter the heck out of the compressors output air. Doesn't take too much oil to ruin the taste of drinking water, I expect.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

I think that the bubbler-pump wouldn't work unless the truck and cabin are both under water. This could be arranged if you're on the gulf coast, I suppose, but only on special occasions.

Surely there's pumps out there that'll do the job? If I'm getting my math right you need about 1/2 psi of head for each foot of rise (somebody correct me if I'm wrong, I'm doing it from memory). If you know your truck tank can take 20psi then you'd have 10 psi for getting the water up to your cabin tank, and another 10 for pushing it through the hose.

Reply to
Tim Wescott

Thanks, Winston. Never thought of that.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

"Tim Wescott" wrote

I'll be using plastic barrels, so 20# is out of the question. I guess I just need to find a pump that will do 25psi+.

BTW, water is .434# per foot at 39F, .443 for salt water.

STeve

Reply to
SteveB

When you use the pressure washer, remove the spray nozzle and leave a easy big opening.

Ignoramus1797

Why not just use a pump designed for the job. 20' is about 9psi.

12 volt pump:
SteveB wrote:
Reply to
RoyJ

Do a google search on "The Coanda Effect". You will learn a lot about the process.

You can buy commercial coanda jets to do exactly what you want, or make your own.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler