battery spotwelder

Does anyone have useful experience with spotwelding nickel strips to Li batteries with an AC spotwelder as the power source? For equipment I have a Harbor Freight 240V portable spotwelder and a 240V Variac to reduce its input voltage and power, a battery spotwelding handpiece with a switch that closes when both electrodes have been pressed against the nickel strip, and a 120/240V 40A timer I built that adjusts from

50mS to 1 or 3 Seconds.

Obviously I'll have to experiment to find a good setting, but this rig has the power to destroy in a blinding flash if set incorrectly so I'd like to find a reasonably safe starting point. The online advice is to try a 12V car battery.

Thx, jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins