blinkies switched by welding

The other day I was welding (TIG with high-frequency arc start) in my garage with bicycles nearby, and noticed that several blinkies had been turned on without my touching any of them. (Blinkies are those little flashing LED lights commonly used on bicycles.)

Anybody care to comment on how that happens?

Ted

Reply to
Ted

TIG generated RF (EMI)

Gunner

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

- John Stewart Mill

Reply to
Gunner

hmmm... i would call a priest and have him do his thing in there, sounds like paranormal activity. Or, because HF interferes with CNC machines, computers and other electronic equipment (because its frequency is similar to a radio's and can be broadcasted) I wouldn't worry too much about getting that preist there asap : ) Have fun.

walt

Reply to
wallster

Sounds like Ted is using a long power cable and thus a long ground lead...

On my plasma table, I grounded it by short lead to a copper stake in the ground. Then I grounded the plasma cutter machine - or maybe it is simply a return wire...

When in use, the A.M. radio 30 feet away continues without a whimper or screech.

Martin

Reply to
lionslair at consolidated dot

As cheap as the blinkies are, they still may be using a microcortroler . The Harbor Freight digital calipers use a microcontroler and only turn off the display when you hit the off button. The blinkies are likely to be doing the same thing, especially if the same button turns them off or on. So when the blinkies are " off " they are really running but just looking for a signal to turn on the leds.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster