Buying a welder.

Guys, trust me, I did a google search and thought the FAQ's were done..........Where are they? Anyway, I'm in a bind. I MUST get my boat trailer re-designed soon, and my brother in law ain't talking to me anymore. (ran over his dog on acccident).

My last welding days were 30 years ago. Mostly Oxy/Acy brazing and fusion. I did a bit of mig with a Lindy, and some Tig work too. Now, however, I really don't want to fool with all that stuff. Is it likely, a guy could do nice work (comparable with today's mig) using a stick? I'm thinking of getting that Miller thunderbolt buzz box for about $250. All welds are mild steel, all structural, and all 1/4" or less. A few rods for practice, and testing of beads......

Is what I'm thinking of feasable or am I in the dark ages here? Thanks for any help...... BTW, I've never done overhead welding. (laying on your back, looking up>)

Josh

Reply to
Josh

Get the AC/DC version. DCEP will give much better welds with 7018 for structural work, but if you are welding thin wall tube, just use 7014. Very pretty welds and a dream to use.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

Thanks, Ernie. I found the AC/DC for around $400 at Northern. Now, for a couple hundred more.........

Thanks!

Josh.

Reply to
Josh

Reply to
Roy J

Uh oh! Better keep checking........Thanks.

Reply to
Josh