Cast iron and silver solder

Hello all,

The other day a customer came into the fabrication shop where I work, with a broken frame from and antique oil lamp. (actually this is the hanger for the lamp, with chaims, pulleys and a counter weight). The boss wants nothing to do with this thing. (too small to bother with) The normal practice of nickle filler would be difficult with this part because it is very small where the breaks are ( approx 1/8 by 1/8 and 1/8 by 3/16 inches) and the surface has a cast in pattern, which a normal weld would obliterate.

My question is does silver solder work with cast iron?

If it does are there any "gotchas" to watchout for?

Al in Ontario.

Reply to
Al Owler

I would vote for steel epoxy putty.