Cast Iron repair help

I have used that method of repair on many occasions, and it really is the best way of doing this type of repair, and if you take things slowly there is no need to mess around with pre-heat and trying a weld repair with Ni rods.

It is also quite possible to build up very thin missing parts with phosper bronze TIG brazing, and to salvage old or badly corroded cast iron parts.

Wanderer

If thats the case then its very very strange that the method of repair recommended, seemed to work very well for the OP!

Glad he didnt try using an Xmas cracker MIG set to bodge the job though.................lol

Wanderer

QUICK, go buy a Lotto ticket!

Reply to
Tom Gardner

That would have been good advice, if he had followed your half arsed suggestion for making this repair!

Wanderer

Looks like Chris Stevens' kill file has broken. Anyone wanting welding advice would do beter to consult someone whose own scrapyard welding business had :not: failed.

Reply to
straggle

Perhaps a child abuser such as yourself is not the right person to comment on something he knows nothing whatsoever about?

Wanderer

  1. Retract that accusation and issue an apology forthwith.
  2. Knowing nothing doesn't stop you commenting, does it? (See 1 above).
Reply to
straggle

BITE ME!!!!

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Good post, I particularly liked the above sentence, and 'mystery metals' pretty much says it all.

Reply to
Private

I agree!

Sometimes I feel like if only I had sacrificed a chicken at some welder's altar I might have had better luck :')))

Cast iron repair is more of an art than a science and its success depends to a great degree on the quality of the iron and on luck and the skill and experience of the tradesman.

There are many different types and qualities of cast iron and while some poor quality cast is very difficult to repair some good quality cast is really cast steel and can be repaired quite easily. Just because you have a procedure or technique that worked before does not mean it will always work.

Good luck, YMMV

Reply to
R. Zimmerman

Nope. Takes at least a few pounds of prime venison, the whole deer for a big job -- or a six-pack of some really good porter. Some good single malt/single barrel works too. :)

Got a chance to taste a moose stew at a reenactor event I attend. DEElicious!

Reply to
John Husvar