compressor lawsuit and MIG question

First, sorry if this is off topic but don't know where the air compressor group is! I bought a campbell hausfeld 5HP 110V compressor a year ago. I knew full well the HP rating was bull (110V 15A = 5HP? yeah right), but if I can get some money out of them now anyway I'd like to. Anyone know where I can get info on if I qualify for some cash?

Now for the on-topic question...

My wire is jamming in my MIG, seems to be around the gun. It's a millermatic 135 pushing .024. The welder is new, I'm only half way through the sampler spool and 90% of that is in the garbage because of the jamming. Spool tension is just enough to stop it free spinning. Hub tension I set so it'll constantly slip/grab/slip/grab, so my arc is cutting in and out (not even useable). If I turn the tension up even

1/10th of a turn more (past about 2) then rather than slip it just crimps sideways coming off the roller rather than feeding into the liner (it jams). If I keep the hose arrow-straight I can keep the slipping to a minimum, even at that sometimes it'll jam rather than slip. I did some grinding with the panel open cause I didn't know any better, is it just that sensitive to dust and metal filings? If so how can I clear out the liner? Or do I need a new one?
Reply to
public

Found some info:

But I live in Canada? I still see 5HP compressors like I bought for sale everywhere...?

Reply to
public

Here are some simple steps you can take to determine the location of the problem. First the hub tension is intended to prevent the wire from unspooling and tangling. It prevents the wire from freespooling when you release the trigger. The lighter the tension the better in order to reduce the pulling load on your feed rolls. You are correct that the feed roll tension should be just enough to push the wire through the gun liner. If you have too much grip on the wire you can create birdnesting if there is a blockage in the liner or gun. I have seen the wire double up and birdnest inside the gun lead ruining the liner. Completely release the drive rolls. Remove the nozzle and contact tip then grip the wire and pull it with pliers. You shouild have no difficulty in pulling the wire. If you have resistance then your liner is the problem. Put the nozzle and contact tip back on and pull again. If you still have no reisitance so far so good. Now engage you dirve rolls at a minimum tension. Only increase tension to the point that the slippage stops. Some people have the tension so light that they can stop the wire feed by setting the gun agains the work with the ground lead disconnected to prevent an arc. If you have birdnesting next to the rolls when you now attempt to weld, check the disftant between the rolls and the beginning of the gun liner. Sometimes there are little brass tubes that sit in front of the rolls that act as a lead into the gun liner. If it is missing then you will have a space for the wire to buckle. This is the cause that I suspect. One last thing about the drive rolls. Make sure you are using the correct rolls for the application. I expect you are but in larger machines you have knurled rolls for flux core wire and a multitude of groove shapes and sizes for each wire type and diameter. The wire size is oten stamped on the side of the rolls. Randy

wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@c13g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...

Reply to
Randy Zimmerman

Of course you don't. Only lawyers get cash from class action suits. You might qualify for a $50 off coupon good for buying another cheesy compressor, which the company makes a good deal more than $50 profit on. or something like that

Rot's a ruck.

Reply to
Ecnerwal

October 21 04 was the last submission date.

Reply to
James Arnold

Only for americans, I never qualified for that since I'm canadian. I guess since the lawsuit was american rather than $50 I get screwed. Like I mentioned, they're still selling 5HP 110V CH compressors everywhere here. I guess we have to sue them seperately... given the american case I'd think the wheels must be in motion but I can't find any info...?

Reply to
public

Thanks randy. I do get some resistance pulling with pliers with no hub tension, it seems like it's binding at the gun within the last 8 inches of the liner. Roller is correct size and all... I checked all the real obvious things, made sure it's all clean, etc, etc, etc

I do have a nice gap between the roller and liner and no brass tube to help feed it, this was the first thing I wondered about but that's how it went in straight from the box so I trusted it. I need to get out there and have a closer look at stuff, tomorrows xmas day and the next my birthday so it might be a while, but thanks, theres some info I"ll refer to when I do get a chance to look again.

Reply to
public

Reply to
Randy Zimmerman

The sampler spool I got with my 135 was 0.030 flux core. I never used it as I went straight to gas. Randy has good suggestions here are a couple more. First the drive rollers are kind of cheesy on the 135. Make sure that they are clean and aligned with the wire feed. The manual talks about this. Don't crank the feed roll clamp down too much it can over power the feed motor if too tight. I'd manualy push the wire through the cable to see it it hangs. Change the copper tip and make sure its the right size. If they get loose or the feed stops the wire can weld itself to the tip. When stuck verify this but pulling on the wire with a pair of pliers. I've managed to weld the wire to the feed tip bad enough that I had to unscrew the tip and toss it on my 210.

Bruce

Reply to
bwoltz

The lawyers got around $5M. CH users got $50 towards most of the stuff in their catalog, Dev users got to select from a few different tool packages. As a CH user I went with two air hoses and a die grinder to fit in under the free limit. Not the way these suits should end up but I'm not looking gift tools in the mouth.

GTO(John)

Reply to
GTO69RA4