Corner joints

I tried to weld some corners today. Two things were apparent.

  1. Welds inside corners were awful. No good fusion. I used 6013 and will try more today, maybe with 7018.

  1. Welds on outside of corners were great. Nice looking beads, good fusion and they survived a destructive test. I cut out a piece from the resulting angle and beat it with a hammer until it flattened. It did not break.

So, what I am wondering is whether welding inside corners is a good idea if one can do an outside weld. Obviously, it would not apply to situations like T joints.

Ignoramus8243

RoyJ

There's the rub and the reason I don't like 6013. As has been posted to often in the past running 6013 on a inside corner can be difficult even for welders who have some experience. I've successfully done it but I can't remember the number of times that it's gone wrong for me. You should have much better luck with 7018, 6011, 6010, or any number of other rods. Another thing is that you need slightly more heat for a inside corner compared to a outside.

Great. The difficulty with outside corners is usually not penetration but rather to much burn through at least this is true on thin stuff.

On thin stock with good penetration there's no need to weld the inside. It can be a different story on thicker stock depending on the thickness and stress of the part.

Wayne Cook Shamrock, TX

Wayne Cook

Reply to
RoyJ

Hi Wayne, i, everyone

I can attest to what Wayne says! Because I have spent most of today and most of the last five sessions (all day) at college trying to get good fillet welds using rutiles!!!

Want perfect shape *and* good "root" / fillet-corner fusion. OK, we are using undersized rods to make it more difficult (2.5mm rods on 3mm plate -- would actually use 3.2mm commercially?). And they are straight rutile, not rutile-cellulose, to make things more difficult - v.lim. pen.. But yes, it is infuriating. xx10, xx11 - no problem - can walk it without practice (though never used this way in UK, apart from by yours truly - influenced by you guys...). 7018 - can't say - don't have them at the college.

Richard S.

Reply to
Richard Smith

Thanks to all of you guys. I get better corner welds now. I welded a welding cable holder last night, using numerous corner welds, and it passed a very basic non-destructive stress test. The holder looks like a letter T, growing out of a 1/8" rectangular steel tray that I salvaged from somewhere.

I used 7018. The welds even look decent. One thing that helped was using the arc starter function when running the welder in TIG mode. I hate scratch starting, as a newbie it is difficult.

Ignoramus27736