E6011

Well I thought I should give stick welding with the new thermal arc

185 machine a try. I got a box of 3/32 E6011 (Fleetweld 180/Lincoln) set the machine to 60 amps and tried to strike an arc. Damn rod stuck! So I wiggle it loose and try again this time it's got spatter like no tomorrow. So I turn the machine down 15 amps and it's way to low. I check my round try a new rod and the same thing. Eithor it's to low or to high amps. Is fleetweld 180 really hard to use or or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks for the input!

Justin

Reply to
Justin

What polarity are you running it in?

Should be DC Electrode Positive. With 6011 you should be able to push the rod right through your base metal if the amperage is set correctly. You should not be able to stub it out.

Try it a little hotter, like 70-75 amps. Keep the arc short. You can do a simple drag, but whipping will give a nicer weld profile.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

That is, without a doubt, the most miserable version of 6011 available. It was the first, and it's the worst. It can be handy if you can only have one electrode, but it is so much of a 'jack of all trades and master of none' that it's a pain in the ass. It's better for cutting than welding. Get yourself some 1/8" 7014 (Fleetweld 47) or 6013 (Fleetweld 37+).

Reply to
Mike Graham

6011 should be pretty happy with AC, though DCEP is just fine, too.
Reply to
Mike Graham