Filling 5/8 hole with stick

Hi; I need to fill 3 holes that are 5/8" dia in 1/4 mild steel. I only have a stick welder. I will need to re-drill through the area to correct the hole locations. What has worked best for you (using only arc welder),would welding in a bolt and grinding it flush be too dificult to re-drill through ? Thanks Bead_runner

Also cross posted to Metal-working group

Reply to
bead_runner

Cut a plug the same diamter as the hole. Gring a bevel on the edge of the plug so the edge goes down to a narrow edge, about 1/32". Then bevel the edge of the hole the same way. Hold the plug in the hole from the back side with a magnet, and tack in the circular V-groove you now have. Weld it up with 3/32" 6013 rod.

6013 is good because the weld will be soft enough to easily drill through. 6013 is also a rod that any arc welder can run.

You could just fill the hole with 6013 while you have a BIG block of copper on the back side of the hole.

A piece about 1" thick and 3" square will be big enough to act as a chill plate.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

Is 1/2 rebar from home depot difficult to drill through(1/4" slice). I may use rebar for a hole filler. Bead_runner

Reply to
bead_runner

May be, may not be. Apparently it depends what they dropped in the crucible that day - the stuff is rated for minimum tensile strength, and perhaps somewhat for bending, and other than that the composition is likely to be all over the map, from what I understand.

Reply to
Ecnerwal

Is 1/2 rebar from home depot difficult to drill through(1/4" slice). I may use rebar for a hole filler. Bead_runner

Reply to
bead_runner

Don't do it. Much of the cheap rebar is high carbon. After you weld on it it will be so hard you couldn't touch with a file.

I'd just prep the hole, drop in a washer to get started, and fill it with 6013 in a couple of passes (chip the slag in between. Flip it over and do a weld pass on the back side.

If you have the c> Is 1/2 rebar from home depot difficult to drill through(1/4" slice).

Reply to
RoyJ

I'd oversize the hole with a holesaw, cut a slightly smaller plug (for root gap) again with a holesaw, from a piece of the same material and then weld it in, leaving plenty of room around the area where you want to redrill so you don't have to drill through the welds. If you don't want the pilot hole from the hole saw in your plug then clamp a piece of plywood as a drilling guide and remove the pilot bit.

My $.02

Ben

--> Is 1/2 rebar from home depot difficult to drill through(1/4" slice).

Reply to
ben carter