Found a verywsweet welding rod today

Having done all exercises in my TIG class, I spent an hour stick welding again. THis is my favorite way to waste time. Anyway, I was playing with all kinds of electriodes and tried something new. This time I was impressed with this electrode: 3/32 Excalibur E7018. This electrode is very easy to use and it lays wonderful welding beads. It is also thin enough that it can be used for medium fine work or not too thick material. I am going to buy a small can of it for myself.

Ignoramus10355

Saw Lincoln Excalibur at a number of colleges in BC, Canada. They reckoned that the students are getting to know what "the best" (one of the best) handles like.

Never tried one myself :-(

Only 7018's I've ever used are my own supply of Bohler EV50's

Rich S

Reply to
Richard Smith

Ah. Becoming a bit of a 7018 aficionado, are we? ;-)

Reply to
SteveB

I love that 7018 stuff. It is truly "something for nothing", giving always great welds even in not so good hands, as long as the machine is suitable. (great does not mean "giving 100% strength of a experienced certified weldor, but it does mean "giving welds that will always fuse where they lay and will not break easily")

Ignoramus3681

3/32 7818 is my primary stick rod.
Reply to
Tim

That's an unusual rod. Can you give us some info?

Reply to
SteveB

Yeah, it was a typo, 7018

Reply to
Tim

Figgered that. I have heard of 9018 and 11018, tho. Thought maybe 7818 might be a special rod I just haven't heard of. I haven't seen the Statue of Liberty, but I believe it is there. I don't always discount things because I don't know of them, because my brain isn't THAT big to know it all.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Lincoln makes my 2 favorite stick electrodes. Excalibur 7018 and 5P+ (6010). With those 2 rods there is little I can't weld. Excalibur is simply the best 7018 I have ever used and it is all I buy at school. We go through about 1200 lbs a year of 1/8" Excalibur 7018 and maybe

1000 lbs of 1/8" 5P+ If you get 5 - 7 inches of weld bead from one 14" electrode of 1/8" Excalibur, the flux should just peel off.

What I can't figure out is why anybody buys the red 5P.

5P (red) and 5P+ (grey) are both Lincoln 6010 rods, but the 5P is much harder to clean off the flux layer. With 5P+ the flux just crumbles off.

The price isn't that different. Does anybody know some secret I missed about 5P?

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

5P aka "mud rod" and Lincoln 7018 was ALL they used offshore, save when we did some hardfacing on joints that were going to be clamped underwater and the surfaces had to dig in to make galvanic connection.

Yeah, it's pretty to see a 7" "banana peel" of flux rise right off a new

7018 weld. Couple of drags along the edge with the uncoated end of a rod, and it looked buffed. As for the 5P and 5P+, I couldn't hazard a guess. Red 5P was all we ever used offshore. We did use 5P+ for root passes on land pipe jobs. Must be something there.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB