guesses on what type of Stainless Steel....

Okay... here's the setup:

I Bought a 6' diameter stainless steel tank from a local scrap yard. I got it for an incredible price because there was a foot thick, VERY dense foam lining it that I needed to use a chainsaw to cut before I could break it out....

This tank had been drop tested and had dents on the top with '1st drop, 2nd drop... etc and the height dropped from on it...

When I got out all the foam, written on the inside were the words "Nuclear Packaging". The scrap yard had checked it with they geiger counter and it read ZERO... so that's okay.

MY QUESTION: What sort of Stainless Steel would you guess this to be? I'm creating a couple of sculptures from the material and would like to use the proper welding rod... I'll go with 309 barring a good guess of something else.

Thanks!

James, Seattle (port orchard), Washington, USA, Earth

Reply to
RainLover

My crystal ball said 348

Reply to
JohnV

304 is he most common SS used for tanks. Could be 316 though. Difficult to tell without a cut test to compare it. 309 would be a safe choice for filler rod.
Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

Were there batteries in the geiger counter? :-)

My guess in 316 stainless. For many years I have been on a committee to produce ductile iron nuclear storage or transportation casks, as has been done in Europe for 25+ years. They are relatively inexpensive (compared to S.S.) and a proven method. We are always told we are competing against 316 stainless. International Nickel Co. used to be a proponent of the stainless steel due to the Nickel content.

Here is a web page showing some of the casks:

No ductile iron ones though. Always gets shot down by Congress, etc. Ductile iron casks have met all the criteria that have been put forth for drop tests, puncture, fire, water, impact, etc. There is even an ASTM standard to produce them. The problem is the _perception_ that ductile iron is brittle, because as soon as you mention the work "iron" an "casting" together that's what a lot of people perceive.

Problem is the cost of Nickel will remain high for many years because there's not enough capability to produce the amount of Nickel needed if we made all the needed casks.

Mark

Reply to
Mark

My bet is it is safe. It was likely a layer of containment to protect from mechanical problems in a crash during transport. If the internal didn't leak Then all is well.

Now : I don't know your supplier. Nor their equipment. Being a Physicist, I tend to guess the scrap yard has a yardstick quality instrument that can't measure some stuff, but is more go no-go for the most part.

What I would do to sleep at night is this :

Buy some fresh color film. The faster the better - e.g. 400 or 800 ASA. some 2 1/4 x 21/4 roll film. Camera store for this. If they have Tri-X in black and white and can develop for you - ok.

Buy two rolls - develop in two stores or at two occasions. Tell them you want the film and the film might be blank or near blank. Prints wanted on each. Put the film inside the tank - still wrapped up on the spool - but no foil around the film. Then after a single role is developed :

Look for pin holes e.g. black dots on the film and white dots on the paper. General fogging indicates a larger exposure and the density strength

Remember - we are play-acting scientist here - If the first is slick clean - develop the second roll. If slick clean - you are slick clean and ready for fun and games.

If the film is foggy or spotty you should get professional help to determine threat. My bet there isn't. The local health department might be able to give you a simple test with their machine - far better than the one at the steel supplier...

Martin [ Suggesting some ideas I would do in this position, not telling what should be done ]

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

what should be done ]

Reply to
RDF

should be done ]

Excellent synopsis and a good plan. On the other hand, I personally would simply take out my Victoreen CDV 700-3 and see what kind of rocking and rolling the meter shows.

Being a survivalist has its advantages

These turn up rather often

Gunner No 220-pound thug can threaten the well-being or dignity of a 110-pound woman who has two pounds of iron to even things out. Is that evil? Is that wrong? People who object to weapons aren't abolishing violence, they're begging for the rule of brute force, when the biggest, strongest animals among men were always automatically "right". Guns end that, and social democracy is a hollow farce without an armed populace to make it work. - L. Neil Smith

Reply to
Gunner

Don't the Victoreen's have a slow report time? to the avg. of five min. to sample stationary?? I have one too but I don't know the facts.

supplier...

what should be done ]

Reply to
RDF

Not to my knowledge. Every time Ive used mine, response time has been in the fractions of a second range from exposing source to read on the needle/sounds in the headset.

They are of course un calibrated, but for simply seeing if there is activity where there should not be..hard to beat them.